Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Fusible batting tape   General Discussion

Started Jan-13 by sueinIL; 548 views.
sueinIL

Jan-13

I know I have used this stuff successfully before, but trying to butt together 2 pieces of leftover batting this morning has become a real challenge. The first bit instantly shriveled into string, so I turned the iron temp down.  By then I also had gunk melted all over the bottom of my iron.  Time out to let the iron cool off and to scrape the melted stuff off.  Second trial no fusion at all.  Third time, double-wide tape, cooler iron, and a pressing cloth to act as a buffer. Success, I think.  It's still cooling off. I don't have enough tape to do all this over again.  Help!

Sue in IL

CC (ccase5)

Jan-13

I've used fusible tape but usually place my teflon pressing sheet (for applique) over it first. and under it if necessary. Don't want it on my ironing board cover either. can't say about temperture. evidently not too hot since i've not had that happen. So sorry. try, try again. but carefully this time.
You are just having a bad day!!

I don't know the answer to your question(s), but I have seen Dee carefully piece smaller pieces of batting into a larger piece, so I know she is the expert.  Good luck!

I just use the left over pieces from my t-shirt quilting - Pellon SF101, follow the instructions.  I've never had the tape (or batting) melt.

judyinohio

Jan-13

Wool temp on iron and you will have no problem.

I've never used any kind of press cloth.

Use a light touch with the iron; you are "pressing", not "ironing" so just barely glide the iron over the surface.

• Edited January 13, 2021 1:43 pm  by  judyinohio
sueinIL

Jan-13

Update:   Third pass.  I fused the tape to my pressing cloth and had to peel it off.  Fourth pass.  Using double wide tape, iron set on wool, pressing cloth--Success!!! I was unsure of the holding power, so I fused it all again on the other side of the batting.  It's a small quilt (the Jelly Snowflake I've talked about), so I think the pieced batting will be fine.  I wanted white batting and didn't want to drive to Joanns, so I used pieces left over from other projects. Trial and error.  Just need to remember what worked.

Sue in IL

judyinohio

Jan-13

I've always had the attitude that I do not need to worry about "holding power" because the quilting of the quilt will hold everything together.  You just need the pieces of batting to stay in place together long enough inside the quilt sandwich to become quilted in place.

I have even had good luck butting batting pieces up together and using a long Z-stitch to hold them together till the quilt gets quilted.  It's very easy to stitch batting edges together.  :o)  

sueinIL

Jan-13

The teflon sheet is a good idea. I'm finished for today.  One more to deliver to my quilter.  Thanks!

Sue in IL

sueinIL

Jan-13

I felt like I just barely touched it and it became a string! Definitely had better luck with the wider tape.  I know I've used it before, but I clearly didn't remember the fine parts!

Sue in IL