Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Dynamic, scrappy quilt   General Discussion

Started Jan-23 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 297 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-23

I belong to a FB quilting group called "Quilting Space".  A member, Donna Munic, saw an inspiration for her quilt on Pinterest and put her own spin on it.

I thought those of you who like avant-garde quilts might like this also.   Simple enough ... just make tons of blocks from fabric strips.  It looks like these strips were all solids (or at least solid looking).  The strips are all on the diagonal but can go astray.  There are different widths.  The blocks are both squares and rectangles of varying dimensions.  There is a central block where all the strips meet at the center (do be careful of bulky seams there!).

This is one *wildly* dynamic quilt.   

May be art

bornblesse2

Jan-23

Wow!  I like the. Effect!  But I’m not sure I want to do one. She really got those angles of rays going out to meet ....

judyinohio

Jan-23

Adding strips of black and white in each block gave the quilt a bit of "sparkle". 

That's a trick I read about from a famous quilter but the name escapes me at the moment. (It's the same quilter who claims red is a neutral if you want to help give my memory a jog.)

THAT is far out!  I don't have very many solid fabrics - just not drawn to them and rarely buy any, except black, white and gray.  But this might be a good excuse for buying some nice solids.  I don't think it would be AS striking and full of contrast if you used prints.  Hmmm.   

judyinohio

Jan-23

Thank you, jonna!!

The author is Freddy Moran and her book (title is Freddy's House) is one I read more than once to inspire me in my Project Linus days when I was making oodles of kiddie quilts. I never got tired of flipping through the pages and being inspired by the lady who was a lunatic of bright color combinations. Her home is a riot of colors on the walls, the furniture, the pottery, etc. Her hubby must have had a great sense of humor ...

Here's the cover of the book (which is out of print):  look for used copies or borrow from the library. I gather that the reprints are disappointing from glancing at the Amazon reviews.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-23

This quilt certainly is eye catching.  I like it.  It would be interesting to try.  The quilting accents the rays.

wow.  love that.  I think you'd have to draft it out though so that the lines all pointed to the center.  You could do it with freezer paper.  Draw the entire quilt on one big sheet and then cut the paper into blocks to use as piecing guides.  not tempted tho.  but love seeing it.  DS even stopped to comment as he walked by.

tuckyquilter

Jan-26

Double WOWZERS on this quilt.  I think I'm in that group too.  But I'm not spending so much time on the computer lately. Trying to sew more.