Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Idea for hanging design wall   General Discussion

Started Jan-26 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 449 views.

I had to take down my design wall last night - foam insulation board covered in white fleece.  I like using the foam so I can pin when needed (even with the ceiling fan going in summer).  Each of the 4 sections were attached to the wall using a combination of sticky back velcro attached to 4 small cardboard squares which was then nailed to the wall with two small nails- that's 32 nail holes now to fill.   Plus the 32 holes from when I moved them from the opposite wall where they used to be.  Looks awful.  I had originally tried mounting the sections with command strips but either they didn't stick to the textured walls we have here or they didn't stick to the plastic foam - fell down constantly.  I didn't like my solution but couldn't come up with anything better last time.

I was discussing with DH about other ways to attach the boards that didn't do so much damage and could be taken down when needed (not permanent).  He asked about hanging them in some manner, the idea suggested by the curtain rod that I use to hang finished quilts for photographing.  Duh!  what a simple idea!  I can use the binder clips I already have to clip the boards & then suspend from the rod.  I'm so excited for this new hanging method, fingers crossed it works.

Here you can see the hanging rod, currently only attached using cup hooks screwed into the sheet rock - it works ok because I don't leave the quilts up very long - only photographing them.  I think I will need something more sturdy but will see.  The foam isn't heavy but I'm worried putting pins in and out may pull too much.

judyinohio

Jan-26

I like your idea of installin a curtain rod and then suspendin thins from that. 

(A certain key has died on my keyboard ... can you tell which one it is?  New keyboard is supposed to be delivered on Thursday.)

The homasote installed as my desin wall is 25 years old and has pretty much fossilized in place so it is difficult to stick pins in it any more. I probably bend one pin for every two that I use so it is time to rethink this wall.

ehehhe - I just figgured your grammerin stuff had gotten sloppery

gggggggggggggggggg here are a few for you till you get your keyboard fixed! Sorry I could not help myself.

judyinohio

Jan-26

Dee and Ami  are such helpful sweethearts!

In a fit of tidiness I cleaned my computer's keyboard with rubbin alcohol and a couple of cotton balls. I suppose that particular key became drunk on the rubbin alcohol and decided to kick the bucket.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-26

I've been trying to figure something out.  This may do it.  Haven't hung my design wall since i moved.  Just used a big piece of black felt and push pins.  I may use some foam this time.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-26

judyinohio said:

(A certain key has died on my keyboard ... can you tell which one it is?  New keyboard is supposed to be delivered on Thursday.)

I knew something was wrong.  You wouldn't have left "thins" like that.

well I'm feeling kind of silly, this was so easy.  I've been fiddling around with how to hang these panels for well over 2 years now, duh!

Just as an FYI, I do NOT use the hardware that comes with the curtain rods because it sticks the rod out too far from the wall.  I get large cup hooks from the hardware section that are larger enough for the diameter of the rod, the ones I have are 1.25" size.  You can get them in the dark color like the rods - check the picture hanging section at Lowes or Home Depot - sometimes Walmart will have them too.  Also you have to get a rod with the small round finials (the things on the end of the rod) for the same reason, you don't want the rod out too far from the wall or your board (or quilt) will flop around - Walmart is a good source for the rods & clips.  I have many of my larger quilts hung this way though I know those little curtain clips are hard on the binding over time - the little teeth are sharp.  It's just so easy to take the quilt down and wash or change.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Feb-7

Thanks.  I saved this as the time is coming to figure out a design wall for this house.