Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

interesting secondary pattern - hexagons   General Discussion

Started 1/28/21 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1892 views.
Cathy (cacnurse1)

2/5/21

LABFIEND said:

you have probably seen the you tube video, two circles sewn together and folded in quarters then bent back to make a flat ornament.

I haven't seen the video.  Can't imagine what these ornaments look like.  Do you have a picture?

LABFIEND

2/6/21

Lets see if I can put in a link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwvNU1pGd-Y

hope that works!  Just cut out 400 more circles, boy that accucut sure is handy for big circles.    I was eyeing her other dyes, may have to try some other shapes!!

Suze (casuzenn)

2/6/21

Cathy (cacnurse1) said:

Can't imagine what these ornaments look like.

I confess I did not know what the ornament Patty was talking about looked like either, but I did find several youtubes and then it was clear!

Suze (casuzenn)

2/6/21

I am curious to see how this will look with serging...depending on the color thread, it could be a 'design feature'....or the serging stitches could just look odd...

LABFIEND

2/6/21

I think the serging will look odd, but when doing 400, well, serging makes sense! but i am not doing the serging!!

Serging sure makes more sense than turning!  I hate turning.  LOL  If I were only making a few, I would use the rolled-edge hem stitch on my serger.  (The one people use to hem napkins and things.)  It would look a lot better than "regular" serging.  But it would take WAY too long to do rolled-edge hems on that many of them.  

LABFIEND

2/6/21

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

LOL  If I were only making a few, I would use the rolled-edge hem stitch on my serger.

That would be good!  I wonder if you could use the rolled hem foot on a regular machine.  And no, I don't want to sew that many!!

I suppose you could, but they don't really work the same way.  The one on your sewing machine still makes a straight stitch; it just helps you turn under the tiny hems.  But the rolled hem stitch on the serger zig-zags over the edge of the fabric - or in this case, both of the circles that are back-to-back, enclosing the raw edge(s).  I think it would be a lot more difficult with the sewing machine rolled edge foot.

LABFIEND

2/6/21

ROTFL, not that I will probably do either!!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

2/7/21

Thanks for the link.  I have seen them but didn't know how to make them.  They look easy.  I've saved the link.