Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Applique shaping tip   General Discussion

Started Jan-28 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 159 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-28

I belong to a FB group, "Applique Quilting".  A fellow member, Ruth Fleming Funk, recently posted this tip as she was prepping her applique pieces over a paper template.  This technique has you use an iron to press the seam allowance over the template to create the crisp edge.  The problem is that you get burned fingertips.  Ouch.   Her tip, below, avoids that problem.   The two white dots in her photos are NOT glue!  I was momentarily confused until I realized those are the round heads of the pins that she has stuck into her pressing mat!

The genius of using a pressing mat is that she can TURN THE MAT to get to all edges of the template, instead of turning the applique piece or awkwardly moving the iron.  And the pressing mat, of course, aids in a great pressed edge.

While I do prefer needleturn applique, I have used this approach (minus the pressing mat) to create tons of leaves in all different fabric colors.  The advantage for me in making the free-standing leaves is that once they were all created, I could place them on the foundation and check for a pleasing arrangement, orientation, and color distribution.  If something was amiss, I could just pick up the offending leaf and replace it with a different one.   You can't *do* that with needleturn!  :-)

"I just found a great applique trick. I've pinned the fabric and template to my small wool pressing mat after starching the fabric. Two pins, more freehand than Appliquick tools. Then I use the tweezers to lift the fabric edge. I use a little steamfast iron because that size works best for me. I can leave the piece pinned in place as I rotate the mat and lift the second side with the tweezers to press it in place."

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

that is a great idea.  I also saw something recently about using glue instead of painting on starch, though it looks like you aren't wetting yours.  When you iron the glue dries and you can still peel it off the paper.  I used glue with the applipops and it did work better to get the pleats even.  I'm going to try it with circles & cardstock, see if you can skip the gathering stitch step but still get the nice sharp edge that you can't get with the applipops.

I've gradually grown to like my wool mat more, especially helpful on the hand piecing I'm doing, getting those curved edges to all lay FLAT.

LindaPutt

Jan-28

What a great tip.  I know what you mean about the leaves and their placement.  This would be especially great for one of those quilts where you have a ton of leaves.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-28

or flowers or anything that you wanted to make sure you got a specific (or random) placement.   It's nice to be able to see what the final result will be like without having to commit to actually sewing the shape down.  (and then if it's 1/2" off of where you wanted to be .....  grrrrr)

Suze (casuzenn)

Jan-28

hum....

I like the Apliquick way...using glue (her glue specifically - its formulated to dry slower than regular glue stick)

I have a wee wool mat...could try this...maybe I will...though I am pretty happy with the glue and the Apliquick tools (I even got a a wood box for Christmas that holds the tools! very cute)

I wonder if the Apliquick iron-on stabilizer would stick after spraying the fabric with starch???