Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

another interesting jelly roll idea   General Discussion

Started Feb-28 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1947 views.

I have been cutting novelty strips to  make a novelty fabric version of the Jordon fabrics drag race quilt that Judy in Ohio made recently.  While searching for exactly how long a jelly roll strip is cut I found this also made from strips - won't this be fun in small scale novelty fabrics.  Whee - I need to cut more strips.  The pattern is called "Ridiculously easy Jelly Roll quilt" from "Shabby Fabrics" -but it is a kit, not just the pattern.  Have to think about the best way to construct this.  Looking at one of the details shots I think they did it in blocks - I don't think you could keep the horizontal lines even otherwise across the face of the quilt.

viola (sissly4)

Feb-28

Dee that is really pretty it does look like it's made with squares

CC (ccase5)

Feb-28

I think you are right, blocks. looks like a great quilt. nice and bright. something different.
I am about to give away my wood looking fabric because i had a book case quilt in mind but never got to it! Go for it!
latterberry

Mar-1

Oh, I like that!  I have something saved on pintrest that looks similar.  Maybe this block will help show the block construction.  You could probably make them any size you want.

wow, they have bought a lot of advertising.  Ever since posting this, I'm seeing the kit advertised here and on Yahoo for the last two days.  geesh

Regarding size, I ended up making the novelties 8.5 x 2.5 and the overall block is 3 strips wide, 6" by 14".  This minimized the background so that the largest background strip is only 6.5 long.  It's been a while since I've played with my colored novelties.  It was fun pulling them out and cutting with a brand new blade grinning

I decided to use a white background rather than black but didn't want pure white.  I got to looking closely at one of the background fabrics I had purchased about a year ago  - white with scattered dots.  It had bled & wasn't white any more.  I had avoided using it for that reason.  The teal dots looked like they were smeared and over all it was blue green.  I decided to give it the hot soak with dawn - yup.  cleaned it right up.  So once that's washed and dried, I'll cut the background and start sewing.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Mar-1

I like this quilt.  It would be pretty in batiks.  That may be what was used in the picture.  I have lots of FQ's to use up.  Looks like that might work.  But I made a deal with myself to finish 2 UFO's before I start something new.

Judy (DJZMOM)

Mar-2

That is so great that the errant dye came out with Dawn.  I just know how excited you have to be with these pieces ready to sew.  

Sew, Sew, Sew like the Wind friend!!

latterberry

Mar-2

I bet your novelties were happy to come out to play!  The fun thing about this quilt is that you could make the block just about any size you want.  Yours being a rectangle will make a deeper "V" than the one I made.  The background you chose will be great, I'm so glad the Dawn did it's job.

Here it is so far.  I'd like it to be a bit wider - not sure if I'm going to add some more reds on the right or maybe put some black and whites on each side.