Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Now can we talk about washing machines?   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started Mar-5 by latterberry; 623 views.
latterberry

Mar-5

Judy in Ohio was looking for opinions on refrigerators and now I'm asking for opinions on washing machines.  I had a good old Maytag for 25+ years and it finally did its last load about 2 years ago.  I got a GE from an appliance dealer that had the features that I wanted and I hate it.   It wasn't cheap and salesman said it wa one of their top sellers.  Welllll...... what a joke.  It runs just fine so I can't call to say I got a lemon, but it agitates so strong that ;my clothes come out a tangled mess.  When I wash quilts or towels or throw rugs I have to stay close because it will throw it out of balance and start hopping all over the place.  And the ^$%% lid locks so you can't redistribute things.  

So what I know I want is a top loading washer with an agitator and as few bells and whistles as possible.  Any suggestions?  What you like or what to stay away from?  I don't trust salesmen and I would rather hear from real people than consumer reports or google.

judyinohio

Mar-5

I traumatized myself by taking delivery of a Speed Queen washer and dryer set the same month I had to buy the new refrigerator. Talk about electronics overload ....  stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye  I had ordered the laundry set in November but had to wait a long time because I wanted a gas dryer. Turns out everybody in America is buying new appliances these days (remodeling during Covid quarantine, etc.)

The Speed Queen set performs very well ... washer is a central agitator top-loader with very few bells and whistles considering this is the 21st century. The only thing that annoys me is that I cannot set it for a small load. I did not realize this because I was focused on getting a machine with knobs and I did not study the various settings. The floor model in the store had knobs and I was happy.

(Did not want a machine with an electronic control panel because my appliance repairman warned me against getting a washer or dryer that had electronic control panel ... "Stick with knob controls", he said.)

I would purchase this Speed Queen set again. It is a lot faster at getting the loads done than my 25 year old Kenmore set was.

Midkid5

Mar-5

Speed Queen, like Judy is what I have had for five or six years.  Mine allows water level setting but like the Maytag I had before small and extra small not a lot of difference in water level.

Jo

I recently had to replace my "old" Maytag (about 7 years old; the Maytag I had before lasted 18 years).  I also went with a Speed Queen, on the recommendation of my local washing machine repair guy, who had come to see if the old one could be fixed.  But nope. 

I had wanted a machine where I could set the water level as high as I wanted it, which most of the machines don't let you do anymore.  I watched a lot of YouTube videos too.  I never knew that there were YouTube videos of washing machine cycles.  Hah!  But it helped.  And instead of going to either one of the main "big box" stores, I went to a local furniture and appliance dealer who has been run by the same family here for 40+ years.  No waiting.  They delivered it the next day.  It could have been delivered the SAME day, but I had gone in to buy it rather late in the day. 

It has enough temperature settings (for wash cycle only; all rinse cycles are cold), and enough water levels and other settings to suit me.  I am happy with it so far.  It's been about 8 months or so.

When the time comes, I will likely replace my Maytag dryer with a Speed Queen too. 

Midkid5

Mar-5

Curious why a gas dryer? Only ever had electric.

Jo

judyinohio

Mar-5

When we built this house in 1996 we chose to have gas lines because electric rates were so high: Gas hot water tank, gas furnace and gas clothes dryer.

bornblesse2

Mar-5

Lynn,

we went thru this earlier this year!  I have a GE, top load, with agitator.  I like it....it has the water sensor but it can be adjusted for a higher water level.  While you can’t really get dials anymore, I wanted to be able to adjust things, and this lets me do that.  I can’t speak to its life as it is new.  But it washes well, is quiet, and only has gone off balance when my son fills it too full, or it has my rugs in it.
here is a picture of the top....

Midkid5

Mar-5

That makes since, we use propane, don't have gas available in our town, possibly in the next two years.  We did go with gas tankless water heater.

Jo

Curious about your tankless water heater, are you happy with it? We are considering for new house. We would also be on propane.

latterberry

Mar-6

Thank you so much for your excellent advice!  Yours sounded precisely like what I am looking for.  I talked to a lovely lady at an appliance store (nearest one if 40 miles away) and she was very helpful and informative)  and she gave me some model numbers to be able to look up online.  They have none in the shop and it will be 8 to 12 weeks before more come in.  Not a problem since mine does work even though I hate it.  I'm going with the TR5 and looking forward to it.  Thanks again for the advice.  I trust people I know so much more than biased salesmen and consumer reports.  It just hit me.  Sad when you have reached an age that you are excited over a washing machine.