Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

almost a milestone - 142 novelty quilts   General Discussion

Started 4/11/21 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1113 views.
Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

4/11/21

I was updating my excel spreadsheet for the last batch of quilts and blog posts and realized that I have now made 142 I spy quilts, starting with the first one made for my son in October 2001.  142 in just under 20 years, how about that!  Kind of feel I should do 8 more before October just to make things even!  The busiest years were 2014 & 2019 with 19 quilts each - wow I was busy!  That assumes my list is accurate.   I didn't start keeping it at the beginning, but built it from the photo scrapbook.  There's a chance I might have forgotten one here or there.  And I'm not always accurate on the dates, some times I guessed based on the dated entries around it.  

Also 53 blog posts in the novelty blog.  Some quilts have been featured in more than one post.  And based on my spreadsheet there are a few I haven't posted about - hmm, I don't think that's correct though if they are repeated patterns I may not have posted about them.  And just because I am an excel nerd, here is a pivot table and chart. stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes

T-shirt quilts  I've made 43 with 21 blog posts.  And 84 "other" quilts  (not novelty or t-shirt) or things such as bags, clocks, etc.  I guess I like making quilts as well as lists.  HAHA.

Wow that is a lot of quilts. Very impressive. I actually have no clue how many I have made as many were given away over the years. 

judyinohio

4/11/21

Not only is our Dee a whiz-bang of a quilter, she's letting us get a peek at the fact that she's also a super-duper accountant as well!

Are you daring us to take down our notebooks of quilts made and photographed and count those?  Tee hee.

My count would not be a very accurate record, though, because I never kept a separate record of all of the Project Linus "quickie" quilts, the "quick and dirty" (as I called them) quilts I made from Walmart / JoAnn panels with slab-o-borders and pillowcase finishes. Did not put a lot of love in those quilts because I realized early on that those were going to sad places where they might wind up being used in tug-of-war battles with dogs, etc.  Made dozens of those but did not keep a personal count of those for my home records.

Eight fat notebooks full of page protectors with documentation on quilts I have made and gifted over the decades but nowhere near your number .... but maybe I will count them sometime soon. You have my curiosity riled.

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

4/11/21

today has been a day of avoiding.  avoiding work, avoiding cleaning, avoiding yard work, avoiding working on the house plans, avoiding staring a new sewing project.  But mostly avoiding finishing our taxes - the thing that really needs to be done.  I know I don't like the answer ($$$$$) so I'm avoiding.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

4/11/21

Dee, that's *awesome*!  It's great to be able to look back on what you've accomplished and realize that you really HAVE done a lot!

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

4/12/21

Thanks Shelley. It is fun to look back aso and see how much I have improved, how my design and fabric choices have improved. Some of those early ones were truely awful. One even had rainbow satin binding with puffy batting. Chringe.

I also ran across a few i had forgotten about that I want to make again.  Also realized that I had not updated my physical scrapbook with photos since 2018. I think perhaps I was planning to use the blog but I decided I do still like having the physical scrapbook with my notes, sizes and EQ print out along with the final photo. So I spent the evening doing that. Now all 3 records (pgysical, spreadsheet &blog) are in synch and up to date, at least on the novelties. I still need to update the Other binder, all I have are my phone photos and my posts here on those.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

4/12/21

I hear ya on letting documentation lapse.  

My blog & webpages were originally intended to be a "notes to me" on my quilts so that when I made a physical album of them, all the information & photos would be there.  Then it turned into "notes to everyone" and "don't repeat these mistakes"  :-)   Part of my quilting process included the webpage, the blog, and forum announcements of new content.  Sometime in 2016, I became filled with ennui and a huge case of "meh" and just stopped the documentation.  

I continued to have computer directory entries but not formal documentation.  That means ... sigh ... 5 years of quilting projects to document.  The kind of notes I took will determine the level of detail I will be able to reconstruct.  I rather suspect that more than a few projects will have scant information.  <shrug>  It is what it is.

HOWEVER!!!!  I do have a long-term quilt project actually finished!!  I finally got it bound & labeled!   I plan on taking more photos tomorrow when the lighting is better and sharing the project with y'all.

I had been documenting all my longarm customer and my own quilts on Webshots and had tons and tons of photos.............by the time I found out Webshots was going away I spent a few days franticly trying to figure out how to move all those photos...........well that never happened so all the photos went off to some cyber universe never to be seen by me again!!!!!

Suze (casuzenn)

4/12/21

wow...you are prolific! and the I-Spy Queen!

Suze (casuzenn)

4/12/21

Sometimes  updating the blog just seems to get away from us. I go from lots of posts... to really dry spells..

Can't wait to see your finished project!