Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How Do You Handle a Warped Panel??   General Discussion

Started Sep-1 by judyinohio; 2150 views.
judyinohio

Sep-1

Okay, after a conniption fit over my  sixteen patch project (which is now hidden away in a closet) I dug out a kit I had purchased some time ago. I thought I could relax by working on a no-brainer project.

Why is it that nothing is simple any more?

Doesn't this look like a easy kit?  I disliked the pink in the package so I grabbed some Moda "Barn Red" off my shelf as a substitute but otherwise things were moving along nicely as I pressed the fabrics and cut the rectangles to use with the "Triangles on a Roll".  (Imagine old quilter whistling while she works at the ironing table.) 

Then ... alas and alack ... the large piece of fabric with the Moda color dots is not printed true to grain. Or the fabric is woven whopper-jawed. Call it what you will, that is not a nice piece of fabric with square corners.  The sides are cut straight but the top and bottom (selvages) go their own way.

I don't know how long I've had this kit.

So, do I soak the panel and then hang it to dry and gently try to tug it straight?

Do I play "tug of war" with the dampish panel and DH in an attempt to re-align the warp and weft of the panel?

Do I send my photo of the badly aligned panel to Moda and ask for a new panel? (Yes, the kit was purchased from Fat Quarter Shop but the panel was printed by Moda.)  I certainly do not want to purchase a new kit; I am not even going to look to see if there is one available.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

honestly I'd probably ignore the grain and cut based on the print.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-1

Ack.  How annoying.

First, it's not the cut edges that are straight; it's the raw edges.  By default, the selvage edge *is* straight.   I would align the *selvage* edges and let the raw edges end up where they want.  THEN trim to straighten.  Depending on how much it is off-grain, it looks like there *might* be enough white fabric along the raw edges that you might not need to cut into the circles when you straighten it.  However, if the panel is very badly off, then you might end up cutting into the circles to make it square ... you might not want that as it will hurt your eyes every time you look at the finished quilt.  :-(

I've read about wetting a fabric and tugging on the corners to align the whole thing.  The problem with that is once the quilt is laundered, the panel is going to revert back to the off-grain state.  :-(

You could do a Google/image search for that fabric from Moda.  Depending on how long ago it was printed, Moda may still have it in stock.  They may direct you to retail stores.  Ebay and Etsy are other sources that might have that fabric.

OR ..... go with Dee's most excellent suggestion!  If the off-grain isn't TOO bad, it probably wouldn't matter at all.

In reply toRe: msg 1
judyinohio

Sep-1

Moral of the story is "Never Trust a Quilt Pattern Featuring a Panel That Shows Only an Illustration, Not A Finished Quilt Stitched From the Fabric". unamused

Sure, I could go ahead and cut this design from the off-grain fabric based on the print and sew the vivid blue border next to the colorful Moda dots. Then add the HSTs which are accurately pieced.

My idea was to pin this thing to my design wall and surround it with some of my small color wheels (because design wall is being retired from service).  I can hope that the Moda dots piece will stay flat and not skew.

Maybe I'll work on a jigsaw puzzle for a while and ponder this stupid fabric ...

I would cut on the design and not the grain. Blocking is an option but then it may go back to scewed if you wash it.

CC (ccase5)

Sep-1

Moda wasn't much helpful to another quilter recently. Good luck.
judyinohio

Sep-2

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

By default, the selvage edge *is* straight. I would align the *selvage* edges and let the raw edges end up where they want. THEN trim to straighten.

Okay, Pirate, I took  your advice.  I aligned the selvage edges and look what I got when I folded the fabric in half. (Instructions say to cut panel 34.5" by 43.5" and I thought I would take a crack at that.)

My DM used to sing an old song from the days of the Roaring Twenties ... "Shimmy Like My Sister Kate" .... and I think this fabric has a bad case of "shimmy"  that shifted it to one side.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-2

Yup.  I've had fabric like that also. BADLY off grain as they wrapped the fabric on the bolt under tension. 

If you want it on-grain, you'll need to sacrifice quite a bit.  That is more than annoying in just fabric but intolerable in a printed panel.

If it's going to be a wall-hanging, you can decide to follow the printed design but realize it *will* be off-grain.

You won't be able to have it both on-grain and a complete panel.

It looks like if you line up the selvedges, you may have a bit more room at the top and bottom to work with than there is on each side, to make the piece more squared-up.  But only a bit.  And it looks like if you trim off only the "bound" part of the selvedges, you still have a smidge more "regular" fabric there too.  I would be tempted to make long, skinny triangles to square up the top and bottom, but "that's the kind of a hairpin I am."   (Quoting James Cagney as Biff Grimes in "The Strawberry Blonde" 1941)     

In reply toRe: msg 9
judyinohio

Sep-2

I have written to Moda and received a prompt reply telling me that they are very sorry about my problem. Here's a copy and paste:

I'm very sorry to hear about that, I have also let the design team know so they can ensure the mill is cutting/printing accurately. We are currently out of the panels and recommend you contact Fat Quarter as they made the kit that includes the panel and they should be able to replace it for you as they show they still have stock on their website. Please let me know if you have any troubles with them.

Well, I think that maybe  this indicates that they are embarrassed about sending out a defective product to the shops. Maybe.  After all, if this was panel of Santa and his elves in the workshop that came out crooked you could "fudge" it and make it look okay.  Same if it was a farm scene with tractor, chickens, hogs and wooden fences ...

But these precise rows of dots just don't allow for much "fudging".

Anyhow, I've sent off an email to Fat Quarter Shop and we'll see what happens.