Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

tried a new way to do applique circles    Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started Sep-4 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 162 views.

well I tried a new way to make applique circles.  It looked pretty slick at first.  But after trying it  I decided I don't really like it.    But thought I'd share it here just in case someone else hadn't seen it and might like it. 

Basically you take your template (mylar or a washer) and wrap a rubber band around the fabric, soak in starch then let dry.  It worked ok, but you have to wait for it to dry and I only have 3 mylar forms the right size, so I didn't like waiting for it to dry.  And you cannot iron as the rubber bands melt (don't ask).  Also getting the gathers even so there aren't any points was not easy.  I found I had to fiddle quite a bit and redo them several times.  Plus after they dry you still have to trim away the excess fabric, and there is a lot of fabric waste.  All those negatives together means I'm going back to doing the running stitch around the edge and then starch.  Those always are perfectly round, evenly gathered with no points and flat (vs the applipops).  

CC (ccase5)

Sep-4

yes, seems like a waste of fabric doing it this way.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-4

Good for you for giving the technique a try.  You never know if something will work out unless you try.  Now you have gained a new bit of knowledge: this technique is dismal.  :-)