Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

the fabric makes a difference   General Discussion

Started Sep-14 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 319 views.

I just finished quilting a quilt for a friend of my daughter.  In addition to running off the edge of the fabric AND frequently having the machine threaded incorrectly, she also did not use 100% cotton.  Ugh.  I finally had to go up another size on my needle to stop shredding the thread - from a 16 (recommended) to a 19.  And slow down.  And still had shredding at least once on each pass.  It really was noticeable - last night I quilted an entire I spy quilt with no shredding at all, same needle, same thread, same backing (fleece).  I was just surprised that the fabric would make that much difference.

and no, I will never quilt another quilt for this lady unless she lets me give her a lesson on how to thread her machine and keep a 1/4" seam!  I spent almost 2 hours "fixing" her top, and I wasn't able to fix all the seams with tension issues, I just quilted them a little more densely.

edited to add - it was such a JOY to quilt my I spy by contrast.  So flat, and even and square.  I tried floating the top this time and was extremely pleased that when I got down to the bottom of the quilt it was only off of perfectly square by about 1/8" - wow, I impressed myself. blush

judyinohio

Sep-14

Sounds like a nightmare to work with this "bargain basement" project.

All that effort for something that might fall apart with the first laundering ...

Yikes!  Is that like the fabric I have been getting rid of -- obviously not 100% cotton, and so thin you could read "the fine print" through it?  It might be good for certain crafting projects (like the one Patty and her friend have in mind), but I would be afraid to put it into a quilt, as it looks like it would wear out very soon.  

judyinohio

Sep-14

Years and years of practice PLUS an eye for accuracy.

it isn't "thin" fabric really, which is why I didn't realize it wasn't cotton until I started ironing and it wouldn't make a crease.  It doesn't have that distinctive poly smell when you  iron it that fabrics from the 70's have, unless just very faint. It reminds me of the cotton poly shirting fabric, the kind that makes a popping sound when you sew through it (like a percale sheet).  Regardless it did not like my usual quilting thread (Superior So Fine 50).  But it's done now, except for the binding.  I've spent 5 1/2 hours on it so far.  Another lady who does quilting for "the public" as she puts it, charges $15 per hour.  figure another 2 hours for the binding put it at $112.50, so I think I'll charge her $100 and move on.

Suze (casuzenn)

Sep-14

I know some longarmers will not accept sheeting as a backing, probably for the same reasons!! 

viola (sissly4)

Sep-14

I am having the same problem with thin material making dresses.One lady gave me a black bag of material to make the dresses.When I put the trim on and press the material shrink so much that I had to throw it away.I went and got my material out to make them dresses.I did not realize that material shrink  so bad as them did.