Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

tried loading my LA a new way, I think I like it   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started Sep-25 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 274 views.

someone on the HQ group suggested the video below and I was intrigued. So I tried it last night on one of Denise's quilts.  And I think I liked it.  Enough to try it again.  Basically you baste the entire quilt 1st, top to bottom, including a 1" basting stitch across the quilt width before each turn.  It has the advantage of getting the batting out of the way, as well as the bar for the quilt top.  also it didn't "grow" as the quilt advanced.  Plus I liked just being able to quilt, without any pinning, measuring, basting.  Removing the 1" basting stitch was fast & easy. 

I also discovered I was tightening my quilt way too much, I think I was going for the embroidery hoop method, which was causing it to bounce, so I was holding it down with my left hand as I quilted.  The tighness was also possibly contributing to my thread shredding.  I'm curious if any one else has tried basting the entire quilt 1st before quilting.

https://www.google.com/search?q=loading+loris+way&rlz=1C1GCEB_enUS847US847&oq=loading&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59j0l6.4705j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8  - "loading Lori's way"

Mishii

Sep-25

I baste the whole thing when I’m quilting it to death, which is frequent. If I’m doing an all over I don’t bother with it. 

CC (ccase5)

Sep-25

I think it is very smart to baste the whole quilt. Never thought of it moving on the long arm but i guess it can. So good for you! Will be sending you my quilts to do soon......
judyinohio

Sep-25

I gave up after about five minutes because of the blurriness of the video.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-25

While not quite like that, I do something similar when I know I am going to want to roll the quilt back and forth... and for that, you need a single layer. 

I don't do it with every quilt but it's a handy technique to have in your arsenal. 

I hardly ever baste the whole quilt first. The one I just finished I wanted to start the design in the center so I basted it. Really unless I need to  begin in the center or I want to do parts that are far apart first I would not baste first. 

I also just did a new customer quilt that was plenty puckered and not close to square so I floated the top. Something else I don't do often.