Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Fun little retreat   General Discussion

Started Oct-7 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 580 views.

I am home from my local retreat.  The retreat center was very nice, what we call the Bardominium/Texas ranch style around here.  Concrete floors, rock walls, rough beams, open floor plan.  The rooms were clean, the bathrooms large.  Good lighting & AC.  And the food, OH MY.  A lady came in and cooked 3 times a day, including cakes.  I felt stuffed every meal.

There isn't anything to do nearby other than walk outside, pet the two neighbor dogs and watch the woodpeckers from the rocking chairs on the porch.  But the sewing area was lovely and nice sewing chairs.  The owner of the center also had a small selection of TOT & grunge fabric that several ladies used to augment the fabrics they had brought.  Not as nice as 3 Dudes of course but still convenient. 

I'm sure they got tired of hearing of my AZ sewing ladies - I missed you guys a bunch.  But I made some new friends and got a lot of sewing done.  I'll post that in the "what I'm working on" thread.

Wow, that's a great idea, hiring someone to come in and cook (assuming that your location has a full kitchen).  So much time is spent on "Where are we going to eat?" and just getting there and back.  I would be willing to pay extra for a cook on site!  

I was telling Ronnie just that.  I feel like we got a lot more sewing done there as so much time is usually spent on food.  Would you be interested in going some time?  It's near Santo, called Rock House retreat.  They have "open retreats" periodically where anyone can go.  She posts them on FB.  The next one is in December tho if I go to Houston as planned, I don't know that I'd want to do it again in December.  I wouldn't want to go by myself but if you were interested it would be fun to see you.

Yeah, that would be fun.  Depends on timing and pricing.  Is there a website, or can you send price info via e-mail or messenger?  

I just looked up the driving distance from here - about 3 hours.  (I came right through Weatherford on Sunday, on my way from Granbury to Altus, OK for that family funeral.  The route took me right through downtown Weatherford, which means right past Gibson's - yikes!  But I had no time to stop and linger.  Besides, is it even open on Sundays?)    

viola (sissly4)

Oct-7

What a nice set up. Glad you  got your lame finish. Your dau. Will have tears when she see it.

https://www.rockhouseretreattx.com/     here is their website.

They have a facebook page where they list various events including "open retreats".  The retreat I went to (and one shown in August on their FB pages) says 4 days 3 nights for $275 with 8 meals.  They also has a sewing machine guy come to clean machines and a massage therapist - tho not sure if they come all the time. 

That looks like a nice retreat location.  The local quilting group (NOT a "guild") - "Hanging By A Thread Quilt Club" - posted something about a retreat center near Sonora, but that is 1.5 hours SOUTH of here, and looks somewhat comparable, but I do not think I know these women well enough yet to do an overnight retreat with them.  Well, I guess that would be one way to GET to know them better.  ha!   

One funny thing - when I saw the URL for that retreat center -- www.kbarksewandstay.com  -- I read it as "k bark sew and stay" and I thought it was for people and their dogs.  LOLOL  But no -- no pets.  haha  It's K BAR K Sew & Stay.  Hah!  

Next week, on Monday, October 11, I will attend one of the group's official monthly meetings for the first time.  (In between their monthly meetings, they also have small informal get-togethers where they work on stuff and visit.)  I will find out from them if there are other retreat centers where they go sometimes.  

that looks nice too.  Fireplace in winter would be very nice.  And the table set up is nice.  I took my tv tray pressing station which was handy.