Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What size do you guys make your quilts?   General Discussion

Started Oct-10 by MelRN; 1183 views.
MelRN

Oct-10

So I have been making them 90x100. But I find that when Ami sends them back, they're only like 80x90 (she quilts densely). My mattress is like 13", first of all, so that's not even enough drape to look cute on the sides. So I have been putting the quilt sideways for the last 20 years and pulling it down some (the pillows hide the top of the bed so there's an appropriate amount hanging on the sides. I see people talking about a 96" square quilt as if it's big...but I'm considering starting to make them 100x110 so that they're the right size when they come back. Mark (the ex husband for those of you who weren't here back then!) always complained they weren't wide enough to go over both of us...so if I ever get a second person, I'm sure they'll be happier, too. What size do you guys make your quilts?

In reply toRe: msg 1

I have no idea why your quilts shrink 10 inches!!!!!

I finished a quilt recently for myself and it shrunk 3 or 4 inches and it was very dense quilting...it started at close to 100 inches.

I have only quilted one of your quilts densely and that was for the about.com book. You get at most medium density. My guess is when you wash them and put them in a dryer that might be the cause of your shrinkage.

Mishii

Oct-10

That seems like an excessive amount of shrinking from quilting.  I quilt everything to death and only lose 2-3 inches. 
Do you prewash? What type of batting are you using?

Even if it was an all cotton batting and no prewashing, 10 inches seems like a lot. 

MelRN

Oct-10

I pre and post wash. But it's pieced at 90x100, and when put on the bed it's 80x90. Wasn't a dis on the quilting, as it looks pretty...just trying to figure out what size I should piece it to make it end up "right" in the end :D 

• Edited October 10, 2021 5:54 pm  by  MelRN
In reply toRe: msg 3
MelRN

Oct-10

Definitely prewash, as hot as possible. Batting, Cotton Dream Request. Post wash after batting, dry to damp, stretch out to finish.  Still...wasn't trying to dis the quilting. What size do you make the quilt to be an appropriate size *after* quilting on a queen bed?

In reply toRe: msg 5
bornblesse2

Oct-10

Why hot?  Mine don’t shrink that much.  I wash quilts in cool with as little agitation as pos…. Mostly line dry or partial dry and then fluff with air or low heat.

hot water and high heat are hard on fibers.

MelRN

Oct-11

Always have. Get any bleeding done with. What SIZE?

In reply toRe: msg 7
Mishii

Oct-11

I usually do 80x80 or 80ish x 90 

What I've done in the past is measure the actual mattress including the drop on sides & bottom, the maximum I would want without touching the floor (typically about 6-8" from the floor).  That makes them a little long, but gives some room when someone is in the bed to move around while still staying covered (I am cold natured).  also I don't really like seeing the dust ruffle much.  I have also folded up the corner of the quilt so that it doesn' touch the floor on the corner and tacked it to keep it there with a couple of hand stitches.  You don't see the border that way, but keeps me from tripping/stepping on it as I go around the bed.  If you like to fold the quilt over the pillows (old school style) include that as well.

Really it all depends on what you want.  Since you are making it, you can make it custom exactly how you like it.  If you are making it for a gift, I just use the standard comforter sizes plus some extra to be generous.

CC (ccase5)

Oct-11

I find i need at least a 15 inch drop on the sides. If i go 20 inches which is what i would prefer, my corners then drape on the floor. Tripping hazard! So i always watch that. or make curved corners!