Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quilting videos   General Discussion

Started Oct-22 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 699 views.

not sure if someone here suggested it or on FB, but I've really enjoyed watching StitchedBySusan.  She likes doing freehand which is also my preference.  Interesting to see her ideas/methods

I have recently been enjoying the YouTube videos of Pola Quilting.  It's probably not for everybody, as she does mainly scrap quilting, but she is easy to watch (kind of a Russian accent, but her English is not hard to follow.  I think she lives somewhere in the UK.)  And I know many people do not do scrap quilting.  But it's one of my favorite things.  And she has a pretty good presentation.  So many of the YouTube quilters (non-professionals) are quick to get on my nerves for various reasons.

I also enjoy the videos by Pattymacmakes.  They're very bright and colorful, and she is so cute and always has a big smile.  She has very professional but friendly videos. 

I have also been watching Power Tools With Thread.  Her YouTube channel is a lot about using machine embroidery in her quilts, so not really my cup of tea, but she does make very cute quilts and other things.  I believe she lives in San Antonio.    

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Oct-22

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

And I know many people do not do scrap quilting. ....

How can that be???  EVERY quilt generates tons of scraps.  You paid just as much for the scraps as for the yardage it came from.  You gotta do SOMETHING with the scraps!  If not using them yourself, I hope, at least, you're giving/selling them to another quilter!

The one suggestion I do not like for what to do with scraps is "make a dog/cat bed."  This doesn't make sense, because just think - if you have a couple of pieces of fabric about the size of a pillowcase, and you sew it together to make a kind of pillowcase and stuff it with a bunch of fabric scraps, how comfortable is that going to be?  I don't think it would be a very comfy pillow - would be kind of lumpy - and I would want my pet to have a soft, comfy bed or pillow.  And it won't get any softer - it will just compress over time and be even lumpier!    

Better than that, instead of hiding those lovely scraps away inside a cover, never to be seen again, give them to a quilter who can make something beautiful and colorful out of it.  The pets just want something comfy - they don't care what the stuffing looks like.  But there are many people who would love to have a beautiful scrap quilt.  And yes, those scraps are the same price per yard as the quilt pieces that were cut out of them.  That's pretty expensive for some pillow "stuffing." 

That's my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it!   

viola (sissly4)

Oct-26

I have to agreed with you. It is the same with making quilts for charity. It bring tear's to my eyes when  I hear people say oh it just for charity. Excuse me it somebody grand mother child.You make your charity quilt like you would for your own grandchild nice and beautiful from your scrap's that you have.

I will say my dog always chooses a soft comfy place to lie. 

I agree that the scraps should go to someone who likes to make scrap quilts or other crafters that can use them.

I agree with your thoughts on Charity quilts, sometimes they aren't well made.  If it's worth doing, it's worth doing it well - maybe not to the level of heirloom, but still something you can be proud of.

I agree on the charity quilts. They need to be made with love and care. Like Dee said not heirloom quality but still nice. I used to take home two quilt tops a month from my guild when I got my longarm. I would try out new designs or just have fun with them and always did them with care.

latterberry

Oct-27

I totally agree about the scraps for dog bed stuffing.  Not ony lumpy but a nightmare after getting out of the washer.