Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What do you do with all of the quilts you make?   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started Oct-27 by latterberry; 1200 views.
latterberry

Oct-27

Just curious--do you save and stockpile or gift and donate?  A friend of mine has another friend (who I don't know at all) who id a major quilt keeper.  My friend says that this gal has a huge stash and can't go to a quilt shop without coming home with hundreds of dollars of fabric.  Then when she is ready to make a new quilt she will go to a quilt shop to buy all the fabric for the new one instead of shopping from her stash.  She pays to have them long armed then just folds them up and puts them in tubs in her closet.  She had the appraised at over $50,000 and they are just in tubs in the closet.  She is in her 70s and no children so you just wonder what will happen to these beauties.  

judyinohio

Oct-27

There was a time when I had a specific person or organization in mind for each quilt as I sat down and started stitching.

Not so much any more. Now I stitch just to be stitching ... force of habit, I guess. But I've slowed down so I certainly am not accumulating "tubs of quilts" like that friend of the friend you described. LOL

MelRN

Oct-27

I won't buy unless it's for a project nowadays. But as far as the projects I do...I gave some to somebody for charity recently and they didn't even say thanks so I was a bit peeved. I like to give them as gifts. I keep some. ¯\_(?)_/¯ I don't like to let things pile up.

viola (sissly4)

Oct-27

My all go to charity..

Midkid5

Oct-27

If I'm making a quilt it is usually as a gift for someone.  If I'm making a scrap quilt it usually gets donated.  Do have a couple baby quilts saved for spur of the moment gifting.  I also want to have at least half a dozen put aside so if when I can no longer quilt there will be quilts for those someday great grand babies.

Jo

I have given as gifts, donated to charity. I also keep some.

I guess she is making them for some random people in the future!  Some who shop at estate sales or thrift stores will be able to use and enjoy them, probably at a real bargain!  

judyinohio

Oct-27

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

Some who shop at estate sales or thrift stores will be able to use and enjoy them, probably at a real bargain!

Probably at what we would consider scandalously low prices ....  but that quilt maker will be long dead and gone so it won't matter to her.

all of the above.  my I spy quilts I make just because I want to try a pattern or feel the need to sew.  I keep the ones I really like as future gifts.  All my daughters pregnant friends have received them as well as my friends I've given them as grandma quilts (for when baby visits).  I have donated quilts (and fabric) to two of the local guilds and they seem extremely appreciative.  There is a local orphanage that takes them, local sheriff also.  I've thought about why I keep making so many, but decided it isn't any different than spending my time on any other hobby.  It is more about the enjoyment I get from creating than the result.  That said, my monthly fabric budget is relatively small.  I wonder about people who use a long armer, that would get awfully expensive for charity quilts.

Last December, I went with my sister to Pigeon Forge, TN and we did the thrift shop tour, and I bought a perfectly lovely wall hanging quilt with 12 little (4.5" X 5.75") paper-pieced kimono in Asian fabrics, with sashing and cornerstones, and the fabrics go perfectly with the color of my walls.  And it even has a hanging sleeve and a label with the name of the woman who made it, and it says 2003-06.  It's not immediately apparent whether it came from somewhere in TN or another location, as that info is not on the label.  I cannot imagine why it was in that thrift store instead of on the wall of one of her family members, but who knows?  Maybe she didn't have any kids or GKs or other relatives who wanted it.  Anyway, I am now really enjoying it.