Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have You Made Something For Your First (Imaginary) Great-Grandchild Yet?   General Discussion

Started Nov-12 by judyinohio; 1032 views.
judyinohio

Nov-12

Back in 1986 or thereabouts my mother gave me a small hand pieced and hand quilted crib sized quilt that she had created for her first great-grandchild. I was a bit surprised because my older child was only 18 or so; he was planning to go to college and did not even have a serious girl friend.

My DM told me that she knew those facts but she just wanted to plan ahead because she knew she might be dead and gone by the time her grandchildren got around to getting married and making babies.  This sweet little quilt was very traditional in pattern and was done in cream, with blocks in half pastel pink and pastel blue. She instructed me to put it away in my linen closet and save it for my first grandchild.

She passed away in 1998 and my son made me a grandmother in 2003. I gave him the quilt and we joked about how he outfoxed his grandma one last time by giving her twins to share the one quilt she had stitched. It made a very lovely floor quilt for the girls to roll around and chew on. They used it in their playhouse for years.

Planning ahead eighteen years later I have made a floor quilt for my first (imaginary) grandchild. My twins are enrolled in a university's computer science program and neither have a boyfriend and so I assume it might be a long time before my son and his wife become grandparents.

But in keeping with a tradition that my grandmother started (I still have that quilt) and my mother carried on, I have made a quilt that is somewhat overquilted and which will make a fine floor quilt or a quilt to put on my son's leather couch.

The stitched down circles curled up nicely for little fingers to pick at. (The tightly woven batik fabrics did not fray one bit.) Successful planning from this granny!!

First photo shows quilt before laundering:

Second photo shows how the circles kinda look "flowery" with some edges curled up by heat in dryer. No way those circles are coming loose, though.

Contraryqltr

Nov-12

I love that story.  Your mom must have been a very special person to be so thoughtful.  And now you are carrying on the tradition!  You have inspired me to think ahead.  My grands are boy, 12, boy, 9, girl, 6. Those are from my son.  My daughter and her partner have not been successful in having babies and are no in the process of considering fostering, so there may be more new grandkids and great grands down the road from them! 

I will noodle on this - I love your quilt because it's so modern and so colorful!  I may take a page from your playbook for my own quilt.  You probably won't believe this, but I do not like batiks and own NONE!!  I don't know what it is about them - they look fantastic in your quilt, so maybe I will reconsider. 

Anyway - thank you for sharing a fantastic idea. 

Mary in Michigan

judyinohio

Nov-12

Batik fabrics are so tightly woven that some people find them unpleasant to work with. I don't like working with homespuns because their loose weave makes them so different from batiks. Someone one wrote on the forum about trying to handquilt a batik project and how it was torture. Poor woman needed to be warned about the density of the weave on batik fabrics.

The quilting world is full of fabrics for different tastes and techniques.

What I did with those batiks on the baby floor quilt certainly would not work with homespuns.  LOL

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Nov-12

*Love* your circle quilt for your yet-to-be-born grandchildren!

I have kinda/sorta done a similar thing.   You might remember those very easy self-mitering blankets that were popular some time ago? Well, I've made them in my girls' "colors".

Well, at least for the 2 girls who *might* get married & have children.  (I would be very, *very* surprised if either one of them decided to become a single mother intentionally. ) 

Our oldest daughter decided some years ago that she just was not interested in having kids.  Fair enough; that's a valuable piece of self-knowledge to have.  We raised our family; I can't tell them to have a family for them to raise.

Although I haven't explicitly pieced a quilt for a future grandchild,  I do have some potential candidates hanging in my Tops To Be Qulited closet,  as well as some interesting patterns that I haven't made yet.

I think this is a good plan.

judyinohio

Nov-12

I don't know much about the twins at all and so for all I know they may never intend to have children.

I will merely present the quilt to my son and his wife and tell them of the tradition that quilt makers in our family inflict quilts on gene carriers ... LOL

Suze (casuzenn)

Nov-12

My Omi (Granny) made several quilts for my children's children before she passed. One was made of a very silky fabric and my granddaughter (my son's first baby) loved it to pieces. The other is tucked away for my daughter, if she ever has a baby.

I think this is a wonderful tradition. I was an older mom at 40 with my first child so my two daughters are still pretty young and I am just hoping for grandchildren. I should go thru my finished quilts and tops and see if there are any candidates for grands and great grands. 

judyinohio

Nov-12

It's nice to know I'm causing  you to look at your stash of finished quilts and tops with an eye toward reserving at least one for your first "grand".  Just don't tell a daughter, though, but put it aside as a secret gift ...   certainly don't want to give a kid any ideas.  LOL

latterberry

Nov-13

I remember when you were making  that lovely quilt. In fact, I see some Illinois black and whites in there.  Many years ago I made a quilt out of my mom's embroidered linens with the intention of it being for my DD's wedding.  Well, she is still single so I'll just put a note on it for her to have it when I'm gone.  She  is the only one of my three that puts sentimental value on things.  It was way too much work and too big  to leave to a great grandchild to drag around.  I love your plan to prepare for a great--I may have to think of doing that too.

judyinohio

Nov-13

I'm glad I put that "bee in your bonnet".  With all the charity quilts you have made for children it is time for you to make something special to tuck away  for your first great-grandchild.

Hide it in the back of a linen closet.