Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have You Made Something For Your First (Imaginary) Great-Grandchild Yet?   General Discussion

Started 11/12/21 by judyinohio; 1071 views.
MelRN

11/13/21

What a sweet story! And I love your new version :D 

MelRN

11/13/21

Suze, off toppic, but what language is Omi? I don't recognize it! :D 

In reply toRe: msg 12
Suze (casuzenn)

11/13/21

German... Formal term is Oma  meaning Grandmother (Opa being the term for Grandfather) Omi is the equivalent of Granny. I never got to met my Opa - he passed before my parents got married.

My Omi was a very prolific charity quilter - she lead a group from her church called the Dorcas which met at her house once a month for intensive scrap quilting...a couple of ladies would cut out the material - they used scissors and cardboard templates, a couple of ladies would sew the squares together - she had at least 5 sewing machines set up in her double-wide, and when the ladies sewing would get done with a quilt, they pushed her  furniture in the living room to the edges and batted, backed and tied the quilts. They would pin the edge into a knife edge and back to the sewing machine it would go. Very efficient!

MelRN

11/13/21

Ah. I would have recognized Oma and Opa. Thanks :D 

Judy (DJZMOM)

11/13/21

So thoughtful.  So brightly colored.  So well thought through.  Nice GG!!

I’m making quilts for the four grands when they get married (ages 16, 12,  11 & 15 months) Mishii was kind enough to quilt the first one I finished. I must say her & Pita did an awesome job. I have 1 more to make. Not sure I’ll get to the imaginary great grands.

judyinohio

11/19/21

Good for you for planning wedding quilts for your grands.

I did not do that because my mother did not do that; she and I just followed the Miller family tradition of making baby quilts, not bed-sized quilts. Guess we think small.  LOL

judyinohio said:

family tradition of making baby quilts, not bed-sized quilts.

This was my DH’s idea. The youngest has already claimed the one I just got back from Mishii. 

TransTex

Nov-19

Judy, My mother, (who died in 1990) left several baby quilts for her great and now great-great grandchildren.  I already have a real (not imaginary) great-granddaughter.  Her first bed quilt is almost done, and will need quilting pretty soon.  

judyinohio

Nov-20

I'm enjoying reading these stories about special quilts created for special babies. 

Thank you for sharing yours with us.