Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

what I've been doing   Off-Topic Chat

Started Nov-17 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1228 views.

This is one half of the warehouse we've been sorting through for the last 3 weeks, now completed.  These are boxes of paperwork sent from Pier 1's  600 closing stores and 6 distribution centers last year.  They've been sitting in this warehouse for over a year and now it was determined we can get rid of MOST of them.  But we had to go through Each box and remove certain tax related documents and set them aside for retention.  I even got my son to come up and help for a week - it was great to have a strong young man wrestling with the pallet jack and lifting some of the heavier boxes.  We went through roughly 60 pallets worth of boxes, most with 36 boxes each.  Some stores were so organized, others you could tell no longer cared, just dumped drawers into a box and mailed.  And a couple even included little thank you notes on the top of the boxes obviously meant for whoever opened the box at corporate.  Who knew it would be a handful of us still hanging around 12 months later.

viola (sissly4)

Nov-17

I bet you are glad that job is doing.Now you can sew until your hearth is contend.

Midkid5

Nov-17

And now we know a little more what is involved running a retail corp. and that closing the doors is not as easy as it would seem to a customer.

Jo

judyinohio

Nov-17

First reaction at seeing your photo made me think of the scene from the Indiana Jones movie, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"; made me think of the scene showing a government warehouse where supposedly the Ark of the Covenant is stored and lost forever.

You and your team were indeed intrepid explorers going through all of those boxes searching for vital pieces of paper needed to file final tax reports but that's what the company hired you to do.

Good job, Tax Whizzes!!!

INdiana Jones is what my husband said.  Here is a view of the other half before we pulled the pallets off the racks.

The scene from the movie isn't as impressive once you've been in a "regular" distribution center.  That is what each of ours looked like and we had 6 of them.  I imagine that AMazon's is much bigger.

bornblesse2

Nov-17

Oh man,  that warehouse of boxes reminds me of all the pallets of boxes in Hpuston that we went through and inventoried a couple years ago!

i know that feeling of glad it is done!

Judy (DJZMOM)

Nov-18

Wow!  That's been quite a job.  How much longer do you think your responsibilities will go?  I hope you're going to take a bit of a break or go straight to retirement!

other than this recent project, I've only been working 3-5 hour a week.  Hardly anything.  I think early next year we will hand the remainder off to a consulting firm that will finalize the last few things (taxes mostly).  As far as me, I'm not sure.  I was contacted by JCPenny a couple of months ago for a job that was interesting - 100% from home and I didn't have to supervise anyone.  I got kind of excited about it, but then I think they got scared off by my resume and went with someone else.  Got me thinking perhaps I am ready to go back, so I may start looking after the holidays.  I'm not bored yet but I'm not sure if I'm ready to be retired yet either.  Really I'd love to find a part time job.  Who knows, we'll see what time brings.  We have officially decided to not build a house on our land tho.  We are going to building shop/hunting cabin instead, someplace we could stay overnight if we wanted.  We've both gotten cold feet.  And so we've started talking about what else we'd want to do in our current house.  Improve the patio, replacing the pergola with a covered patio/outdoor living space.  And after that remodel the kitchen.  I finally convinced DH that tearing out walls doesn't make any sense, but I do think we'll replace the cabinets. $$$ I know but I think we'll enjoy it so much more.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Nov-19

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

$$$ I know but I think we'll enjoy it so much more.

AND .... you won't have the inherent problems you get when you build from scratch.  No matter HOW much you research to have things built right and exactly the way you think you want it to be, once you live in the space, you're gonna be thinking, "hmmmm .... if only this was done that way instead".

That's the advantage of remodeling the place you have lived in for a while.  You already KNOW what works in the place and what might be better if it was tweaked a different way.  Everything costs $$$ but if you're going to *stay* there and you have the funds for it, by golly, fix it up the way that works for you!

Besides, who wants to pack up an entire household and move?   ::shudder::