Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Fine on a bed--not in the kitchen   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started Apr-19 by latterberry; 1420 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-19

That's a bit too much variety for my eyeballs to see in the kitchen every day.   

Maybe as a single accent row?

judyinohio

Apr-19

That might be a brand new kitchen. New appliances still have plastic wrap still covering doors, etc. There don't appear to be door handles or drawer  handles ...

This is not a real working kitchen.

It's a nightmare.

Here's an idea.  It's still April so this is someone's idea of an April Fool's joke.

Suze (casuzenn)

Apr-19

Oh my ... that is a real eyeball poker!

That reminds me a little of Freddy Moran's house, but I kinda don't think so, because there's not enough color on every single wall and other surfaces.  Hah!  I first learned about Freddy Moran from watching Simply Quilts back when HGTV actually had a few GOOD shows on, instead of all real estate, all the time.  She did a tour of her house, which is just as colorful as her quilts.  If you google for pictures of her quilts, you may remember her (she is in some of the photos).  She is famous for using the brightest fabrics possible together with black and white fabrics.  She is famous for saying that red is a neutral, and if ten colors don't work, try 100.  I believe she is almost 92 years old now.  There is a lot about her online, including videos of her appearances with Alex Anderson on her vlog.  It's sad but sweet to see her in various videos over the years, and see what she looks like as she has grown older.  She's an amazing, inspiring designer and quilter.  Here's Alex Anderson interviewing her in her house in 2020.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YeUnm378_s&t=185s   

judyinohio

Apr-19

I have Freddy's book about her house and I remember when I read it that I admired Freddy and also admired her husband for allowing her the freedom to carry out her wild and crazy ideas inside that house.

She's an unforgettable character.  Her husband died a few years ago.  

latterberry

Apr-20

Holy cow!  I googled Freddy and she sure does make some bright and outlandish quilts.  I like and make brights, but hers make mine pale in comparison. Hers are over the top!  

judyinohio

Apr-20

Lynne, if you don't mind, I will hijack your thread and post some photos from Freddy's book and show her kitchen and other photos from her house. They will inspire you to drive your DH nuts with brighter color choices.

Here's the cover of the 1999 edition of her book; Amazon offers a reprint and I cannot guarantee if what's inside matches what I found in my edition.

And here are two pages showing her display of chinaware and her kitchen. She did not cover every square inch of the kitchen walls with art. She obviously loves collecting chinaware.

Then there's the issue of bright fabrics ... lots and lots of bright fabrics. A girl can never have too many reds according to Freddy.