Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Off The Gift List   Off-Topic Chat

Started Jun-17 by judyinohio; 651 views.

well, at least you got something.  Many of those niceties have fallen by the way side now.

CC (ccase5)

Jun-17

Ha. well at least you got a note. You should write back "oh my goodness, did the gift card fall out before you got it?? " say you will cancel it then. so sorry,etc, etc.

now aren't you ornery!

Contraryqltr

Jun-18

So true - how hard is it to just write a quick note & drop it in the mail?  I mailed a house warming quilt to my brother and his wife - they moved to South Carolina 3 years ago.  I never heard a word - they did not even call me to say they had received it.  I know they did because it had tracking on it!

I also got invited to a cousin's kid's high school open house.  I was a little strapped for funds at the time, so I made a really cool "young person" bracelet and gave that as a gift.  Again, not a word from the receiver. 

I try to maintain that the joy is in the making, not the thanks of the receiver.  Sometimes, it's harder than others.

Mary in Michigan

latterberry

Jun-18

This does not surprise me.  At least you got an attempt at a thank you.  I sent my own grandddaughter a card with cash for her 8th grade graduation and have't hear a thing.  We did go to the ceremony but I had forgotten her card and got it to her a few days later.  Her father ws taught better.  My kids were not allowed to spend or play with ay ift until and thank you was written.

CC (ccase5)

Jun-19

Yes, i thought i sounded a little ornery myself. Not like me, that! oh well, we all have bad days and I'm OLD.
In reply toRe: msg 7
judyinohio

Jun-19

Long story short, I've heard from the twerp's mother; her golden boy is perfect, will be going to medical school someday and I didn't deserve a long thank you note because he doesn't know me.

Lost cause, folks, that family is a lost cause.

I am so glad that I didn't raise my children during the days of social media when playing in multiple sports, etc. and being the valedictorian at a rinky-dink very small town Ohio school meant you were hot stuff.  If your mother addresses your envelopes for you then you are a momma's boy in my eyes.

CC (ccase5)

Jun-19

well, at least one in the family is trying. Poor Mothers.
5dogmom (CRISR5)

Jun-19

"I didn't deserve a long thank you note because he doesn't know me"

I'd say if he doesn't know you well enough to thank you for a gift, then you don't know him well enough to send him future gifts.  Like upon his graduation from college, his engagement, his graduation from medical school, his wedding, the birth of his children, etc.

I'd lose any future mail I received from these people.

Cris in MT

Midkid5

Jun-19

Sounds like it was mother's idea to send out announcements to everyone not the young mans. My guess would be that the young man wrote out generic thank you notes for his mothers announcements and that's why mama addressed the envelopes.  It was once tradition to send graduation announcements to all of the relatives, some are just not willing to give that one up.

Jo