Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

interesting pattern - secondary stars   General Discussion

Started Aug-25 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 560 views.

Saw this on FB.  Isn't it an interesting pattern?  I don't think I've seen this before.  Trying to figure out how to construct it - is it a block on point with wide sashing that makes up the stars?

In reply toRe: msg 1

hmm, zoomed in, I think I figured it out.  They sewed two sets of a square  with sashing all around in dark & white.  Then cut both with two cuts on the diagonal.  Then sewed back together, trading the center sections.  But then how is the sashing around the centers different widths? hnmmm

Maybe it's not different widths, but maybe that's just the result of slicing and re-sewing, without worrying about the seam allowances.  And it looks like maybe when they trimmed the blocks, they didn't square them up to an even square, but ended up with slight rectangles instead (but they're not THAT much taller than they are wide - just a little bit.  I don't understand your question about the "sashing around the centers."  I don't think that sashing is wider - I think it just looks a little bit like that because of the 1/4 seam allowance lost when the slashed pieces were sewn back together.  This is actually a pretty clever block, because it looks much more complicated than it is.  Looks like it would be fun to make.  And all you need are squares and strips - no HSTs required.  Boingggg!  But the secondary design is great.  Anyway, that's what I think.   

here's another close up.  see the red lines, I think the outside pieces & inside squares are different sizes because they don't line up

Yeah, no, I STILL think that's because of losing the seam allowances.  Now, of course, you being you, you would probably draft a pattern with all those little triangle pieces and strips with seam allowances, or do paper piecing or something, so you would have points that match and avoid what you see as a problem of strips of uneven widths.  But I don't look at it as a problem at all that those pieces APPEAR to be different widths.  I think it's an optical illusion, and it's all because of the seam allowances.  I like it as is.  Well, that's just me.  I am not the perfectionist that you are, nor have I had the experience you have had, or made as many quilts as you have made.  I could be wrong.  ;o)    

aha, there is a video.  We were both right - they start out the same width, but then trims the center section after sewing - the center pokes out after sewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocwQ_j2rpoQ

Yeah, thanks for that link.  The video makes it very clear.  I wish I could cut and sew that fast in real life.  LOL  

she's had lots of practice I'm guessing.  I've watched some of her other videos, she really makes that ruler look helpful.  I have a shapecut which I use occasionally.  But the plastic strips wiggle a bit when your cutting so I don't use it often.  I think her ruler is heavier plastic.

yes, the stripology are heavier rulers than the shape cut.