Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Can I "let it go"?   General Discussion

Started Sep-1 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 637 views.

I put the black & gray blocks together last night.  I was careful to match the seams that were pressed open.  However I forgot about the triangle points.  Completely forgot that those points make the secondary pattern which is why I liked it in the first place.  And now the entire top is together.  And about half of the squares in the secondary pattern don't line up properly.  I don't know why I was in such a hurry last night.  If I had pressed the rows before sewing them together I would have noticed and corrected.  But no, I wanted to get it all together last night......Grrrr.   I keep reminding myself this was just to try out the pattern - turns out it's more fiddly than I like, don't think I'd do it again as you have to press seams open (which is irritating getting those little seams open).  But my perfectionism is really struggling with letting this go.  I'm giving the quilt to the daughter of a friend, no sewers in the family, no one will ever look at it and go, geesh she didn't match her points very well.  Intellectually I know this...

At first I thought oh I'll just fix the worst of them, but when I started marking the ones I'd want to fix it was over 50%.....This is like a tickle in the back of my throat or an itch between my shoulder blades.....ok, let us sing the song together,  "Let it go, Let it go...

As tempted ad you are to fix it I this case NO! Stop yourself. They will not notice or care. You could likely make a second one faster than fixing this one. If this were going to hang in your living room then....make a second one and leave this. Just my opinion.

:)

CC (ccase5)

Sep-1

If you haven't already, just press the seams open. that should help a tad and then just go for it. Life is not perfect, remember that and enjoy making that quilt!
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-1

Aaarrrgggggg!!!    Just applique a cute little heart over the offending intersection to hide it.  Use different color hearts & machine applique.  She'll love it. 

it is almost every intersection in the quilt - faster to re-stitch them all than applique.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-1

eh, don't applique EVERY intersection!  Just the ones that are exceedingly offensive.  :-)

latterberry

Sep-2

I give you permission to let it go!  I think once you wash and dry it and it kind of crinkles up, you won't notice it.

latterberry said:

once you wash and dry it

that is a very good point.  I put it up on the design wall last night and stepped back.  The secondary design still works despite the point shift, so I think I am there.  The main point of why I Liked this quilt was the secondary pattern and I was worried it wouldn't work as well but it does.  I worked on my embroidered wall hanging last night and enjoyed that so much more than restitching, that helped too.  So I am Moving On.  I'll add the borders tonight and go fleece shopping tomorrow.

latterberry

Sep-2

I DO like that secondary design!

Judy (DJZMOM)

Sep-3

I agree with you that secondary design really pops in a good way and things not lining up perfectly don't detract at all!  I'm proud of you for letting it be and moving on!!!