Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Charity quilts in 2023   General Discussion

Started Oct-11 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt); 3476 views.
LABFIEND

Oct-18

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

My goal for 2023 -- get rid of all the cardboard boxes - hah!  I know you will love that! 

It's good to have goals. (laughing hysterically) OMG, you would be my hero if you did!!!

I know how many boxes you have!!!!!!!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Oct-18

Isn't it amazing how many quilts get made for charity each year?  Our small church group donates about 230 each year to a pregnancy crisis center,  homeless families who are being helped by the church, the chaplain at a pediatric hospital, nursing homes and other groups as the need is recognized.  We get nice thank you notes from the groups so know they are appreciated.  I'm sure we can find some fabric to bring to the retreat for charity quilts.  That will probably be my focus also.  I am working on UFOs and keep finding sets of blocks I have made that need to be made into tops.  I have been working on some of them.  I'm sure you won't have trouble finding places who will really love and appreciate your quilts.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Oct-18

Haven't seen you here for awhile.  I didn't know that you have moved.  Are you still in Snoqualmie Pass?  Where did you move to?  I totally understand what a big job it is.  Hope to see you on the forum more.

you are thinking of Misha.  This is Sharon who moved to San Antonio from West Texas a couple of years ago.  Misha hasn't posted in a long time either.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Oct-20

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

you are thinking of Misha.

Thank for correcting me.  I responded to the wrong post.  I didn't think Sharon had moved.  Scrambled brains!

Mishii

Oct-22

No I’m not in Snoqualmie Pass. I’m in Texas now. I like it here. Way less snow and taxes. 

tuckyquilter

Oct-23

I love hearing about groups who do quilting for others.  I, and my family, all have more quilts than the law should allow.

I quilt with a very similar group of women who do strictly charity quilts.   We provide quilts for three local Women's Oncology Centers, Project Linus, Snowball Express , James Storehouse (foster kids) and a host of local smaller groups.  We are currenting looking for a local "home for unwed mothers" to support as well.   Sometimes the police will take quilts to have when they have to pull kids out of homes.  

The hospitals normally have to wash all the donated quilts and since the "flu" season many are no longer interested.  Good that you are moving on and looking for places for all those quilts.   IF in fact Shriners has possession of these quilts, I'd be asking Shriner's to return them so they can be distributed to someone who needs them.  

tuckyquilter

Nov-14

I travel with Perfumed J & J baby powder.  Bugs of all kinds HATE it.  I used in in hotel beds, on the carpets in said hotels.  And any place that ants might be.  Works like a charm.

I also carry a small can of lysol when traveling to go over the toilets, sinks etc.  

latterberry

Nov-15

Well now-- that is something I will have to remember!

tuckyquilter

Dec-10

Good Choices.  There are just so many great organizations who could use a helping hand in one way or the other.  I belong to one group that was started as Project Linus. Over time we've included Snowball Express, 3 local women's oncology centers, and several other ones.  The group has a Facebook page.  "Ojai Church of Christ Comfort Quilters"