Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1460859 views.
lppenguins

9/4/19

Me too. I got logged in. 

Rotf with all the banter.

Well I told everyone I was “cleaning” my quilt room 2 weeks ago, got it torn apart and broke my other thumb getting suitcases out of attic for vacation. 

Quilt room still torn up, Vacation was wonderful! My dad, brother, and 2 sisters in Huntington Beach and Catalina Island. Home to a hot house - A/C froze up . It’s only 11 yrs old! 

judyinohio

9/4/19

Judy, when kids go off to college they suddenly learn to eat new foods.

It's a fact of life that part of the maturing process includes noticing that new foods do not kill a person.  LOL  He will see his friends eating foods he has never eaten and he'll decide to give those foods a try ...

In my DD's case it was onions. When she came home one winter break from college and said she liked French onion soup I stared at her and then pretended to swoon.  She grinned.

Judy (DJZMOM)

9/4/19

I do hope your daughter's experience will be DJ's.  I won't hold my breath but will be happy when it does.

judyinohio

9/4/19

When DD was in her twenties she revealed to me that there was some peer pressure put on some of the kids eating meals in her dining hall (not on her) because of odd eating habits. 

At our home I always insisted on the old  Girl Scout "No thank you" helpings when it came to objectionable foods like beets or lima beans. (My DD would swallow a lima bean as though it was a pill; DS was the same way about beets ... he would dice them very small and swallow his in a gulp of milk like they were pills.)  So eventually when they got tired of the "pill" routine they eventually would chew a very small amount of the weird food ... and they survived.  Then when they became old enough to have meals in college dining halls and saw really peculiar eating habits they came home and told me about them. The boy who ate nothing but pizza day in and day out ...  that kind of stuff.

Tell DJ to keep a Journal and be sure to put in dates

Mishii

9/4/19

judyinohio said:

The boy who ate nothing but pizza day in and day out

I have my friend from California living with me for a while.  He is a 54 year old man and he eats frozen pizza, pot pies, pop tarts, different types of chips, and canned chili.  That's it.  This is what he considers cooking at home.  Once a week or so he will order pizza  He has been here since June and has not finished the case of bottled water (it is the wrong brand).  In a week he drinks a 12 pack of pepsi, a 12 pack of Dr Pepper or Root Beer and a case of large Gatorade.

Pita cooks almost every day and we usually have leftovers.  He won't even eat the leftover pizza.  He throws away half every time.  (Well, he doesn't throw it away....I heat it up and eat it the next day.  Free pizza!)  The only time he ate with us was tacos....he didn't finish them because the seasoning was the wrong brand.  He refuses to try anything.  I have offered roast, baked and grilled chicken, fried chicken, hamburgers, spaghetti, mexican stacks, chicken and rice and a variety of other things.  He refuses to even try them.

Going to the store with him is like turning a 5 year old loose and telling them to choose dinner.  It is baffling.

bornblesse2

9/4/19

Oh no Laura!   You need a retreat.....we need to talk!

bornblesse2

9/4/19

Oh my.......that sounds like what my hubby COULD subsist on if left to his own devises.  Well, except those sodas!  He drinks wAter.  But, he will eat my cook g or other cooking offered to him.  But,  that’s about what he would eat left to his own...sandwiches galore too.

judyinohio

9/4/19

Mishii said:

In a week he drinks a 12 pack of pepsi, a 12 pack of Dr Pepper or Root Beer and a case of large Gatorade.

So your friend is a caffeine junkie, eh? He probably is single and since he takes the easy route when it comes to nourishment he probably has hemorrhoids and bad breath, too.  Your PITA isn't that big a nuisance if he cooks every day ... wish I could convince my DH to cook something.  He is a good cleaner-upper, though.

Mishii

9/5/19

judyinohio said:

Your PITA isn't that big a nuisance if he cooks every day

That was one of the ground rules established back in 1987.  My X chromosome didn't come with a cookbook.  Being a wife and a mother is a fantastic choice for many women.  I am not one of those women. So he either had to learn to cook (which he should do any way as a functioning adult), or be hungry.  I have a tendency to get hangry, so bippity boppity boo, there ya go.  He cooks!  He is a strictly utilitarian cook...nothing fancy or exciting going on in our kitchen, but we obviously get plenty of food.  His mother never got over it I don't think.  Her poor baby marrying such a horrible woman who wouldn't be a good wife to her baby.  Whatever ::eyeroll::