Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1188786 views.
Midkid5

Sep-18

Judy

A last of things that something can be put into:

mircowave bowl pot holder

purse, wallet

gift bags

fabric boxes

oven mitt

kleenex box cover

hat..like the chemo caps

tooth fairy pillow

quilt with the pocket for your feet on the backside

advent calendars with pockets

ponytail scrunchy 

Hope this gives you food for thought

Jo

judyinohio

Sep-18

Your list is magnificent.

Anyone who cannot find a project from that list is just being cantankerous.  wink 

(I'm a former fifth grade teacher so I know cantankerous when I see it.)

judyinohio

Sep-18

Okay, I ordered the "Fire" version of the Dream Big panel and it arrived at my home this afternoon.  I ironed it nice and flat and pinned it to my design wall.  (This after an annoying morning working on my new "Single Slice Mokume" polymer clay class but I am not allowed to share anything about that until the class is completed in November.)

Anyhow, I sat back in my sewing machine chair and admired those gorgeous shades of orange, the clever shading of the petals and I mused to myself ... "How in the heck do people stitch this thing?".  Checked out Pinterest and I find that since this panel was printed in 2017 many quilters have gone berserk with this panel. I was slack-jawed at the awesome examples of quilting I saw that had been done with this panel. What show-offs there are lurking out there in the world of machine quilters!!

I turned my head to look at my pretty panel pinned on my wall and I thought "You poor thing, you are doomed to be the wall flower at the party".  Plus I saw this diagram that explained there were 62 segments to be quilted. I just grinned and shook my head "No, thanks."

Hoffman Dream Big digital quilting design
Etsy
Hoffman Dream Big digital quilting design
  • Edited September 18, 2019 4:57 pm  by  judyinohio
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-18

judyinohio said:

since this panel was printed in 2017 many quilters have gone berserk with this panel. I was slack-jawed at the awesome examples of quilting I saw that had been done with this panel.

Yup.  I've been collecting *some* of those examples as inspiration.  You can see why I've been procrastinating for such a long time.  How on earth do you DECIDE what to quilt where?  So, when the class for this panel came up at PIQF, I jumped on it.

judyinohio

Sep-18

I think a class would leave me paralyzed with fright.  scream

If and when I ever do something I will create a dazzling border to frame the piece and then do simple outlining around the 60+ petals. 

Suze (casuzenn)

Sep-18

there really are some doozies out there!!!

judyinohio

Sep-18

There's a woman on Etsy who will sell you a quilted panel for $330.  One customer grumbled because seller labels it as a wallhanging but there is no sleeve or any loops on the back to use for hanging purposes.

Looks like a fine example of computer-driven quilting, what I call "quilted to death" kind of work.

• Edited September 18, 2019 7:40 pm  by  judyinohio
Mishii

Sep-18

It goes pretty fast.  I did one start to finish in 4 hours.  I did mainly feathers, swirls, and pebbles on that one so it was pretty quick.

Mishii

Sep-18

This lady has a class that I thought was great.  She sells the panels, thread kits, border kits....she is all about the panels.  Also a small business owner and Coast Guard family so I like to support her when possible :)  I like her teaching style.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-18

judyinohio said:

I think a class would leave me paralyzed with fright.

exactly the opposite for me!   I look at that empty print (much like a scrapbook page) and am simply overwhelmed by all the possibilities.  I can do ANYTHING I want and therefore am unable to do anything.  I can't make a decision on how even to start.  There are too many choices.  I am hoping that this class will help the decision making by narrowing the choices.  Fewer choices are actually more helpful to me.