Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1458482 views.

I have a loaf of sourdough bread rising in the oven. Some weeks back DH ordered dehydrated San Francisco Sourdough starter. I was kinda scared but got it started a couple of weeks later. This will be the 3rd official sourdough loaf the traditional way. I have already dehydrated a good amount of it in case it ever fails, I need to take a break from making it or I want to share some. I tried a loaf in the bread machine and it is not as good as the traditional but pretty fail proof, just toss stuff in the machine and hit start........that one was good. I have also made sourdough biscuits with the "discard" twice and the last batch were awesome. I have not baked bread from scratch in years and the kneading of the dough is kinda relaxing.

I also found an apron pattern in my stash and am gonna make an apron because with all the cooking I am doing from scratch it will be nice to protect my clothes.............I have not had an apron in years and really need one or several.

Gonna cut out a pair of pants today as well.

Also need to do some chores around the house as well today.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-18

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

Also need to do some chores around the house as well today.

::GASP!::   Say it isn't so!

Just lie down until the feeling goes away.

Reading your description, it almost sounds like the 1940s or 50s. Next, you'll be headed out to harvest your victory garden and getting ready to can :D Love it!

Tho I must say a breadmaker makes bread so much easier! I mix the dough in the maker and then bake in the oven (well, back when I had one)

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

::GASP!:: Say it isn't so!

I had to get up on a ladder and open all the vents in the house that are closed up every Fall when it get cold so we can insulate the house. It is getting pretty warm in the afternoons here and we need to get our evaps going so that should happen today. DH has also told me I need to help him in the garage today................just kill me now!

I did sew up an apron from a pattern I bought years ago. Found it when I was going thru stuff and figured I should sew it up................it is ginormous but will do the job of keeping things off my clothes when I cook so I will use it. The fabric was also the free stuff my DD's friend gave me.............about 2 yards worth so that is a win. I am trying to sew thru some of this gifted fabric and am doing really well, not keeping a close count because I do not care quite that much. Charity quilts are also in the plans.

Mel Harris (MelHarris1) said:

Next, you'll be headed out to harvest your victory garden and getting ready to can :D Love it!

If I could garden in New Mexico I would but it is way to dry here, I would really need a greenhouse to garden or a fence to keep out deer rabbits, better soil, a longer growing season and lower elevation.

I have been using my food dehydrator a lot, I just did some onion, jalepeno and some squash that I had too much of. Last week it was parsley. Once stuff is dehydrated it lasts for years as long as it never gets moisture.

I so wish I could grow a big victory garden. My DBIL had one last summer and it was awesome, I used to go eat tomatoes right off the plants as he had way more than he needed. He and his girlfriend were planning their garden for this year and it is gonna have even more stuff. They have a great situation set up for gardening in Colorado.

Speaking of rabbits...there are like a jillion of them around here! Ok...I've seen 4 distinct rabbits, one of which is a baby. Ugh. No rabbits to eat my flowers please!

Suze (casuzenn)

May-20

Mel Harris (MelHarris1) said:

Speaking of rabbits.

as if this year could not get more strange...now there is a hemorrhagic virus that affects rabbits...it has the potential to wipe out bunnies...

what that means for the predators that eat the bunnies and the vegetation that the bunnies eat is unknown...

sigh

lppenguins

May-20

Yep but now they have the whole contraption that fits together!!!  You put the car seat base in the car, pop the seat part in and out as needed but the car seat part I think also fits on the stroller too. Could be why it’s darn near $250. I don’t think they have those at Other Mothers, a (second hand swap store)

lppenguins

May-20

He’s due October 28th!

not much time to get all the stuff needed. We have a cradle and a pack and play pen. Although my niece had a boy 3 years ago hopefully she kept stuff. 

lppenguins

May-20

Wow you have some energy woman. I’m with Shelley, lay down the mood will pass. Lol

and hubby in the garage? Send me a bottle of energy.