Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1460827 views.

So, the negative part of owning a house is showing...LOL! $1400 for air conditioning/heat pump fix. Another bit for router that went bad (could happen in apt). Then the mower is having issues and needs to be repaired (I hope, rather than replaced). I broke the wiring for the switch to the garage light, so that should be repaired. Hoping my handyman (I'm using for first time and contracted already to come do a couple things) who is planning to come work Monday can fix the garage switch, cause the $$ I'd saved for electrician I put on the air. Oy vey! #broke. 

In other news, putting in app where I am to transfer to unit coordinator so I'll have a more traditional schedule. M-F days, 3 nocs "on call" per month and one weekend on call q 5-7 weeks. It means I'd be able to go to church again, sleep in on Saturdays, etc! We'll see if they'll hire me. It's for rehab, so I'll be adding to my experience. Pray that God brings this to the right conclusion :)  I won't get a pay raise but the ability to go to church will make a big difference!

I may have a new roommate soon. Found someone on Roommates.com who seems like a good fit. 45, into fitness, quiet and neat, and travels quite a bit so I may have more time to myself. Chris is planning to move out ( :( ) so gotta replace that income. 

I have my NCLEX (nursing boards) exam scheduled in ~2 mo. I won't tell the date; we're superstitious about it. But I'm studying away for that, too! 

Hope you guys are doing well. Just thought I'd pop in and update. BTW, my facility has been C-19 free for >2 weeks now.

Mel Harris (MelHarris1) said:

So, the negative part of owning a house is showing

The thing about owning a house is that at first the payments seem huge. A few years go by and hopefully your job pays a little better, inflation causes rentals to rise and you are actually paying less that you would in a rental. The ownership is for a long haul and at the end you hopefully come out ahead if you sell. Depending on real estate in your area you can come out way ahead................I know people who have made half a million dollars on a house.............like in Seattle or Denver area where the market has gone thru the roof. One other thing is learn to do as many home repairs as you can to save paying someone else. I get it electric and plumbing are not on the DIY list but many other things are if you have time.

Good luck on the new roommate situation. I am sure with your study schedule and hard work you will do fine on your boards.............been there and I know it is scary but just keep studying as much as you can it really makes a difference.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jun-6

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

I attended an adoption the other day via Zoom!

That sounds great!  Great that so many people were "there" to support this event.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jun-6

LABFIEND said:

Besides, i don't have anyone to zoom!!

Carolyn zooms.  Try her.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jun-6

Karen, I don't take the singular(generic) for allergies either.  I take it for asthma.  Not sure it helps.  I have taken all the different meds for allergies.  They help for awhile and then don't.  I just got back from TX.  My allergies were terrible there.  I bought some Zyrtec to try again and it seems to help.  Wondering if I need to take one for a while and then another?  It is a question I will ask.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jun-6

LABFIEND said:

Key word is FOR ME, not to me-buuuuhaaaa

So the rest of us need to watch out?!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jun-6

We just returned this afternoon from a week in TX.  We drove both ways all in 1 day.  15-16 hours each way.  We weren't ready to fly and we didn't want to try a motel.  We had no trouble finding places to stop for fast food.  In Texas, we even went to a couple restaurants.  Social distancing and masks on the servers.  I felt safe.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jun-6

Our trip to Texas was for DGD's High School graduation.  They actually had a ceremony in a new baseball stadium.  It hadn't been played in yet because no baseball so far this season.  Only 64 in her class so it was not lengthy.  Then a family dinner of Lasagna made from scratch by DGD and her Dad.  It was delicious.  The next day a small party.  Texas is pretty open.  Some are being careful and others are not.  It was a good visit.

Not sure why the first one is on it's side?

viola (sissly4)

Jun-6

Welcome to the new owner housing I got my house paid off now too but I have a brand new refrigerator washer stove and air conditioner so I hope nothing breaks down now for a long time

I have ordered a new Whirlpool refrigerator, but it will not be delivered until around first of July.  Usually it only takes about a week, but it's a different world now.  New Bosch dishwasher should be delivered sometime this week.  And just today I bought a new sofa - got a really good deal on it too, I think.  They said it will be delivered this Friday.  I still need a TV (would like to get a Smart TV) and a couple of other pieces of furniture before long - a new bed and some lamps and other little things.  It is coming together slowly, and I am contributing a lot to the local and national economy.  :o)