Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1477837 views.
Judy (DJZMOM)

Aug-17

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said...

You can't get motivated to pack, and I can't get motivated to UN-pack!

LOL!!

Judy (DJZMOM)

Aug-17

You are right!  This crazy and extended heat wave and weird weather makes it very difficult to get to Lizzie in the garage.  Before the heat got bad I cleaned up the errant stuff that had accumulated in front of the machine as I was piecing these last few months.  Now I'm ready to go and it is in the upper 90s most days and not cooling off at night as it usually does when we get the coastal temps come over the Santa Cruz hills.  It will get better again but in the mean time I trudge along.  

Judy (DJZMOM)

Aug-17

Hahahahaha!  That's sooo ME!!!

Judy (DJZMOM)

Aug-17

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said...

I have been VIRTUOUS!!   I actually drove to the PO to get both packages mailed. 

I don't know why I resist going there.  Maybe because it's SO FAR away?  Literally, a 2 minute drive.  :-)  

Haha!  Good for you.  

David had to go to the PO this afternoon to send some completed, notarized forms for his Dad's Trust and I NEED to mail some things too but just didn't get my backside in there to fix up the packages.  

Just pathetic.  

So I rode along for the ride...

Judy (DJZMOM)

Aug-18

Cathy (cacnurse1) said...

We are home now.  We have her moving forward.  She was so overwhelmed she was paralyzed.  I'm still talking to her daily.

I'm sure you two did so much for her...  in so many ways.  

Blessings to be sure!

Judy (DJZMOM)

Aug-18

Hi everyone!  I just ran out of time to let you all know I was going out of town for nearly a week.  But we are back.  We went to CO to see DH's aunt and uncle.  It was really good timing as Aunt Donna shared with us her DH is failing a bit.  As a quiet comment to me she said, "He knows well what's ahead for him."  Not understanding what she meant I asked and she shared he is showing the signs of dementia that runs in his family.  His mother died from complications from it and in recent times his sister also struggled and passed due to it.  She also shared his most recent MRI showed a number of mini strokes in his brain tissue so they are pursuing more with Drs.  DH also updated her on his Dad's Trust and family issues (he was her older brother) and she had a lot of questions that DH was able to help encourage her with ideas and solutions.  We suggested they contact a Trust attorney sooner rather than later.  They have three kids and one of them is out of state so putting things "on paper" and in order will help as Uncle T predictably deteriorates.

We also looked at more properties for possible retirement.  My goodness there are a lot of factors and many different possibilities.  One was even waaaaaay out from the main part of town and was 81 acres next to an nature preserve area.  Plenty of room to build!  AND property taxes were $265 per year...  IF we keep cows or other livestock on the property for it to continue to be zoned "farmland"!  I'd prefer goats.  But...  Can you see me and DH as M/M farmers?!?  Don't want THAT much responsibility for that much land.  Or being that far from town...  to quilt stores, Costco, groceries, medical etc.  So we did consider a couple of other contenders.  Thinking...  considering...  evaluating... 

I'll agree with Ami...  CO was HOT last week.  DJ and his cousin were planning a cross country road trip (to see a bunch of Natl Parks) and get DJ and his car back to Atlanta to school.  But two weeks ago DJ found out all of his classes went to hybrid status and the GT professors across campus strongly encouraged students not return to campus.  They believe school will be closed down again and students send home suddenly once again.  We met them in Denver at aunt/uncle's house but were 3 hours late getting there.  They came over the Rockies and down into Denver and the major highway (70) was at a crawl due to a fire.  They barely got through and Hwy 70 was closed 1.5 hrs behind them and is still closed due to 2 fires.  God was sure protecting them.  

Back to the heat...  It was in the 90s every day and rained a bit most afternoons so it was humid by our 3rd day.  But we appreciated air conditioning in the rental car and all buildings we went into.  The best thing for us was...  we were able to go to restaurants and EAT INSIDE!!!  We can only eat out by doing Take Out or finding somewhere that has outdoor seating.  We just delighted in being able to dine inside with a cloth napkin and real menu not just a sheet of paper with a minimized menu. 

Now...  THAT was a get out of town vacation!!!

Glad to be home with a bit of new fabric and a kit I picked up.  Oh, and DH ordered me a "Two Fabric Bargello" quilt kit with the "bubble" fabric from Susie Weaver for my birthday.  He chose the purple colorway.  Guess what I likely will bring to work on at the retreat!?

Judy sounds like a good trip. We drove over the Rockies last weekend and saw the huge smoke plumes from two of the 4 fires burning out of control. It has been pretty smokey here most days but still not as bad as it was our Summers in Oregon and Washington.

Sorry about DJ having to change his plans.

bornblesse2

Aug-18

I will be so glad to help you and Mishi if she wants to play along!  We will need to be on the same side of the room!

Judy (DJZMOM)

Aug-18

bornblesse2 said...

I will be so glad to help you and Mishi if she wants to play along!  We will need to be on the same side of the room!

Sounds fine!  But I don't want to monopolize your retreat time leading just me (and Mishii).  

Mishii

Aug-18

bornblesse2 said:

I will be so glad to help you and Mishi if she wants to play along!  

I will!  I actually still have my fabric together and everything!