Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1888794 views.
Suze (casuzenn)

3/15/21

dunno...have not tried crochet since I started the regimen ... (I am an abysmal knitter...I can do garter and stockinette, but don't ask me to do tricks!)

I suppose I could try. Might help me keep my sanity!

At least I SHOULD be able to do machine stitching.

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

3/15/21

maybe you are gripping things tightly?  Do you normally use a thimble?  that might help as well.  I definitely understand your frustration/disappointment - having handwork as a backup is so much more enjoyable than stupid games on my phone.  there is also reading if you just can't handle the needle pressure.  hugs and more hugs for you friend.

Suze (casuzenn)

3/15/21

When I was quilting, it seemed like it was the same pressure as I have always used...and yes...I do use a thimble...on my middle finger (so that one is still ok!)  Pain is fading a bit...thumb is almost back to normal but index finger is still got sharp stuff going on. I have found one of the doeskin glove tips...I 'think' I can learn to stitch with that on...have to try it.

And maybe not try to do so much in a day! And maybe not let so much time go by between stitching sessions?? 

In days gone past, I remember having to drag a book around everywhere...mobile is way easier, though the print is much smaller!

There might be some needlework like embroidery where you use a non sharp needle that will be easier on the hands.

Suze (casuzenn)

3/15/21

silk ribbon embroidery...might work....

still...I would like to get these handwork projects off my table! Will see where I am on the weekend...

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

3/15/21

Suze (casuzenn) said:

I have found one of the doeskin glove tips...I 'think' I can learn to stitch with that on...have to try it.

Suze, have you tried Thimble Pads?  They are self-adhesive little suede dots that stick wherever you need protection.  I use my middle finger to push my needles through the fabric, so that's where I stick the Thimble Pad.  You can keep using them until they are no longer sticky.  (Now, if you forget it is on your fingertip and wash your hands  ... as I have done! ... the sticky doesn't last as long.  :-)

If you don't want to go through Amazon, you can get them through the Fat Quarter Shop.

Kathi Shunn uses a similar product called Poke-a-Dots.  They are just like Thimble Pads but are polyurethane instead of suede.   They are also available at the Fat Quarter Shop

(Both of them are also available on Amazon).

The major advantage of either product is that they cover ONLY the area of the finger that you need protection.  It doesn't surround your finger like a thimble and doesn't feel awkward or constraining.  Would anything like them help?

Suze (casuzenn)

3/15/21

Can you grip the needle with them on? it's my index finger that still is smarting ( and a wee bit on the thumb)....I wear a thimble on the middle finger already...that one didn't show any signs of injury.

I have some of the Thimble Pads....somewhere....just don't recall where that somewhere is. One of my myriad number of sewing kit pouches, no doubt.

Might have to try the Poke-a-Dots.

but hoo-doggie...the price for either of them is astronomical.

wonder if moleskin would work?? 

Or....Co-ban? (that's the stuff they use for athletic injuries- I get it wrapped around my elbow when I have to visit the vampire...)

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

3/15/21

I can't speak to the Poke-a-dots but since the Thimble Pads are suede, they DO help grip the needle quite nicely. 

bornblesse2

3/15/21

Suze, there are also finger cots for handsewing...I sure hope the treatments don’t stop your handsewing!  I would be at a lose to not be able to do any!

or, just remember to limit how long you spend in a session and not let yourself work too long?  But it may take a bit of experimenting with that time limit.

bornblesse2

3/15/21

I just got my first Covid shot!  Yippee, glad to be getting the extra protection.  But, I also have a dental appointment, mammogram, Dexa scan, and a colonoscopy over the next month!  By the end of April I should have a clean board of health!  
geeze, nothing like getting it all scheduled and soon to be done!