Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1921445 views.
judyinohio

Jul-29

Yeah, I had a waist, once upon a time. 

And my DH had hair ...

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-29

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

So, did she end up taking any of the actual garments with her?  Or any of the patterns?  

No, to the garments.  Not her taste in fabric or colors.   Somehow she doesn't like batiks.  How could that possibly be?????   But, since she is now actively engaged in constructing garments, she inspected mine with great interest and was able to appreciate the details that I put into them.

Yes, to the patterns.  I think she is taking about 6-8 of them.  (Out of, maybe, 100 or so?)

Do you remember Gunne Sax dresses?   I have one .. pale blue voile with white lace.  It has long sleeves with a big, buttoned cuff and a fantastic Queen Anne neckline.  I wore it to a wedding.  It is gorgeous.  It's kinda like a princess dress.  I know I certainly felt special when I wore it.

Well, my girls can't wear it.  I can't zip it up, as their shoulders/upper back is **too broad** for the dress.  *Those* genetics come from Mr. Pirate.  They were very disappointed.

It was *similar* to this but think in pale blue.   Gosh I loved that dress.   I still have it.  :-)

70s Gunne Sax Wedding Dress Dead Stock Sz 3 70's | Etsy

I have seen that photo go around Facebook and yes that could me me, long hair parted down the middle, bell bottom hip hugger jeans. The car they are leaning against would have been pretty new a late 60' model maybe.

Oh, I do remember Gunne Sax, but I didn't have any of those dresses.  However, we DID wear the "granny" dresses and glasses and tried to be all hippie-like.  In reality, I was FAR from a real hippie.  LOL  I tried to run away from home one time, but didn't get very far.  haha  As for that photo, that is what I only WISHED I looked like in the 60s and 70s.  My hair would NEVER do that -- much too voluminous and wavy.  It would never part straight down the middle and hang down straight.  I was always trying to make it do that, but no luck.  LOL  

But back to those Gunne Sax dresses.  There was a time in the early 1970s where many bridesmaids wore this type of outfit.  (Nobody I know; random photo from Googling.)  Remember those big floppy hats?  When I went off to college at Texas Tech in 1972-74, a group of us girls in the dorm all had dresses and hats like this - either from being bridesmaids or whatever - AND the big floppy hats.  I remember all of us going to church on Easter and trooping around in these outfits - even went out to eat after church.  We certainly did look festive.  But no doubt about it, we just looked like a big ol' group of former bridesmaids.  Hah!  

I loved Gunne Sax dresses. I had planned on my weeding dress being something like that.  But when the time came I opted for wearing my mothers dress instead (circa 1947 or so).  And my daughter is small enough she could wear it, but it has a sweetheart neckline and due to her "pigeon" chest is not comfortable wearing that.  I've dragged that dang dress around almost 40 years and now thinking I should get rid of it.  

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-29

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

I've dragged that dang dress around almost 40 years and now thinking I should get rid of it.  

yeah, well before you consign it to a thrift store, check out Etsy.   The picture I posted (not my dress)?  Is on Etsy for $382.50 (plus shipping)!!!!    Holy moley.   I have advised my girls to take their time going through my stuff.  :-)

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-29

LOLOLOL!!!   I *had* my bridesmaids wear those hats!  LOL!

*AND* ... I found a picture of me in my Gunne Sax dress.   The 3 other girls in the photo were college classmates and we were attending the wedding of another classmate.  The gentleman was one of our Computer Science professors.

My hair is REALLY short, as I was in a phase where I chopped it all off.

my home town has a VERY extensive museum.  I may see if they want it.  They have a wedding gown from the turn of the century, they might want this one.

Suze (casuzenn)

Jul-29

ohh... I had a Gunne Sax dress when my babies were small...I think its still hanging in my closet..in the back. I bought it for a Christmas dinner. Found it at a thrift store, probably a few years AFTER the major hype for Gunne Sax...but it only cost $12  and, like you, I felt like a princess in it! I probably could still wear it...I have lost a bunch of weight (and inches in height) lately. Fortunately it's tea length.

makes me curious...just where is that dress!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-29

Suze (casuzenn) said:

Fortunately it's tea length.

OOOOH!!!!    That triggered a memory .. I also have a tea length Gunne Sax.   Gosh, they were gorgeous dresses.  :-)