Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1925285 views.

my home town has a VERY extensive museum.  I may see if they want it.  They have a wedding gown from the turn of the century, they might want this one.

Suze (casuzenn)

Jul-29

ohh... I had a Gunne Sax dress when my babies were small...I think its still hanging in my closet..in the back. I bought it for a Christmas dinner. Found it at a thrift store, probably a few years AFTER the major hype for Gunne Sax...but it only cost $12  and, like you, I felt like a princess in it! I probably could still wear it...I have lost a bunch of weight (and inches in height) lately. Fortunately it's tea length.

makes me curious...just where is that dress!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-29

Suze (casuzenn) said:

Fortunately it's tea length.

OOOOH!!!!    That triggered a memory .. I also have a tea length Gunne Sax.   Gosh, they were gorgeous dresses.  :-)

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-29

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

my home town has a VERY extensive museum.  I may see if they want it.

All righty.  Lemme know what they say.  :-)

Dee I would see if you can take that dress to someone that is a professional dressmaker and see if there is a way they can "remake" it for your daughter. My wedding dress has quite the big skirt and a train. My daughter can't wear it because she is quite busty and I am not............that said there is plenty of fabric in that dress to make her an incredible wedding dress of her own. She wants more of mermaid style so I think we can just use it for fabric and she can have a beautiful dress.................at least we are talking about it. She is engaged and will be getting married in less than two years.

MelRN

Jul-29

They all look cute, except why are they slouching so much?!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jul-29

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

A bunch of old sewing patterns for CLOTHING, 99% of which have never been used. 

I already got rid of those.  I've been going through my fabric deciding what I like and might actually use and donating some to the church quilt group and a friend who does lots of Linus quilts.  It's about time to go through my quilt patterns again to get realistic about what I will actually make.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jul-29

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

It would do our kids good to ponder the fact that we (the parents) were young once and may have looked much, much cooler than we do now.   We even had Interesting Lives before they arrived.   :-)

So true.  I even wore hot pants in the 70's.  We were fortunate not to have to deal with man of the things the youth of today are dealing with.  I pray for my grandkids daily and their parents.

I wish that I had saved the fabric  scraps, my mother was at least a size 10 and I was a 2, so when it was altered there had to be a bunch of fabric cut away.  We could use that to remake the neckline.  Oh well.  I'm not sure she would even want to wear it, I guess I'll ask her.  Though she's pretty negative on ever getting married at this point.  She turned 30 yesterday.

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Jul-29

I once disassembled a Gunne Sax skirt to salvage the fabric.  I felt like Attila the Hun.  LOL!

Cris in  MT