Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 605954 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

2/14/19

One of the other projects I did at the Retreat was a gecko applique created from "made fabric" on a black background.  It is 22"x32".    He's a cute silhouette and I do like the colors I chose for the patchwork.

But, after I've worked on the black cat silhouette on a "made fabric" background, I really do not like the feel of the fused applique.   Granted, I haven't washed the cat quilt yet but I doubt it's going to soften up.  OTOH, I could be wrong about that.

In any case, I'm not interested in completing the gecko project and if anyone here would like it, lemme know and I will mail it to you.

The gecko is adorable. I am with you the fused stuff is really stiff and it does fray over time even if it is on the wall. I could totally do this project but I would do needle turn applique on it.

I wonder if he is high?

Suze (casuzenn)

2/14/19

ooh...he is cute!

if no one else wants him, I could give him a new home...

He is already fused? if not..send to Ami?

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

2/14/19

Suze (casuzenn) said:

He is already fused?

Yes, the fusible webbing is already on the back of the gecko.  BUT apparently I didn't do a terrific job of actually FUSING the gecko to the black background.  I noticed that one "finger"? wasn't attached.  I gently pulled on it and, to my surprise, it came apart from the background rather cleanly.

So, if you're interested in the little guy, I can
1. continue to remove him from the background so you can put him on your OWN background
2. fuse him better to the background so he's not coming off but not blanket stitch around him
3. fuse him better *and* do the blanket  stitch.  White/off white thread would blend better; black would stand out more.  Green would be another good choice.

Let me know which version you'd like me to proceed with.  :-)

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

2/14/19

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

I wonder if he is high?

Well, he's kinda flat right now.  :-)

Funny you should mention needleturn, as that was my first thought.  But then, I figured I ought to go with the flow of the program and do it her way, so I did.  :-)

And always remember the "trick" we learned for erasing the adhesive from the silicone pressing sheet!  I found my larger white eraser and photographed it, in case anyone else needs one.  This one is several years old, but you can probably still find them wherever art supplies are sold.  The eraser is in a thin cardboard sheath that protects it until you need to use it -- kinda like a lip balm or something.  

Suze (casuzenn)

2/14/19

option 1...unless you run into issues pulling him all the way off....

I think I want to try the pieced background like Misha did...maybe in yellows/pinks/oranges....

Suze (casuzenn)

2/14/19

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

I wonder if he is high?

don't worry...I got it...even if Pirate didn't!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

2/14/19

Suze (casuzenn) said:

don't worry...I got it...even if Pirate didn't!

oh yeah .. Ami & I already chuckled over that at the Retreat. :-)

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

2/14/19

Will do.   I think he'll come off cleanly enough.  Depending on the weather, he may get in the mail today, but don't hold your breath.   It's starting to turn nasty again here.