Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 169940 views.
judyinohio

Jul-31

You just made me giggle, Sue.

I wrote earlier this month that I was going to tackle making miniature quilts. Today my first pattern that I ordered from an online place called Sleepy Hollow arrived. It is my very serious opinion that this foundation piecing diagram should be called a micro-mini quilt pattern. stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes 

The end of a triangle measures 0.25 inch and the side is 0.75 inch.

My afternoon plans already included going to Office Depot so I made a stop at their Copy Center and a pleasant young woman magically enlarged the micro-mini foundation pattern by 120%.   Hmmmmm.  "Could you please make that 150%?"   Whoops, too large for the piece of 11" x 17" paper.  Okay, how about 140%?   Perfect!

Go ahead, everyone, call me a coward. I can take it. smile  The largest piece of paper (on the right in the photo) is actually the size of the placemats I use on our kitchen table.  I could screw up my courage and make two of these, couldn't I?  Nyah! 

I plan to use 28 colors and run a long, strung out color wheel with this design ... probably use midnight blue as the background.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-31

that's really going to be a beautiful piece when you get done.  Do you have a special black fabric for the background?

judyinohio

Jul-31

Is there such a thing as "special" black?  Do you have a recommendation?

I was thinking of ordering Moda's Bella Solid called "Peacoat" which is a very blackish-blue.

It will take me a while to go through all of my leftovers from my color wheel days and cull out 28 pieces suitable for this project so I have time to order something from Fabric Shack in Waynesville, Ohio.

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Jul-31

It's going to be beautiful, Judy!

Cris in MT

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-31

I was thinking something with a shimmer.  Maybe a shot cotton?   Or, if you feel like working with the devil, you could try Dupioni silk.   :-)

That kind of special black.  :-)

judyinohio

Jul-31

Pirate, I thought you were my friend.

I will preserve my sanity by ignoring your suggestions.  wink

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-31

Oh, working with shot cotton isn't bad at all and provides a subtle sheen.

Now Dupioni?  Devil spawn's fabric.

bornblesse2

Jul-31

It is too bad that this person doesn’t care more about the end product.  And 20 years is a long time to not refine and improve your work.  How sad....l

bornblesse2

Jul-31

Judy,  I refuse to call you a coward!  My thought as I was reading the size of the end piece was - enlarge the pattern!

shucks, if you do it larger and like it, then try it smaller!

besides, this is for fun not headache, right?