Latest 12:13 AM by Pirate (PIRATE_SR)
Latest Jan-28 by Sandy in TX (Centergranny)
Latest Jan-28 by Suze (casuzenn)
Latest Jan-27 by williekays
Latest Jan-27 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)
Latest Jan-26 by nylaagain
Latest Jan-25 by judyinohio
Latest Jan-24 by MelRN
Latest Jan-23 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt)
Latest Jan-20 by Mishii
Latest Jan-20 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR)
Latest Jan-13 by MelRN
Latest Jan-12 by bornblesse2
Latest Jan-9 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest Jan-7 by joepeter00
Latest Jan-3 by sueinIL
Latest Jan-2 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)
Latest Jan-1 by keddykat75
Latest Dec-31 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest Dec-30 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt)
This quilt, made with churn dash blocks came with stuff my brother purchased at an auction sale. The quilt blocks were in good shape. The quilt itself didn't appear to be quilted, was pillowcased /berthed rather than bound, the sashing was inconsistent in its width and there was big tucks in some of the blocks. The back felt like a tricot fabric, however a burn test proved in was cotton, guessing well-worn flannel. I opened the seam to see what kind of batting, at this point I made the decision to sacrifices the quilt to selvage the blocks. Once the backing was removed I found that the horizontal sashing was quilted to the batting, in a "quilt as you go" fashion.
Upon removing the quilting stitches the batting was able to be inspected. The batting was two layers of pieces of all different kind fabric and sandwich between these fabrics was nylons. I say nylons because they reminded me more of the heavier hoses my great aunts wore rather than the pantyhose I wore. I considered taking the batting apart to use some of the cotton pieces for the backing on the "new" quilt, however I realized that many of these pieces were parts of clothing and almost impossible to unstitch without the fabric tearing so gave up on that idea.
I'm keeping the same layout of the blocks as in the original quilt. Due to the fact that there is inconsistency in size and needing to square them up, the horizontal sashing on the blocks will be whatever width needed to make them 12.5" in height, the vertical sashing will all be the same width with the exception of one side.
Wow .. that was quite the adventure!
Any guess as to date the fabric?
Sorry, haven't a clue on that one.
Without better photos of the fabrics I am gonna say 50's fabrics. Can't see the back fabrics as well but 40's into 50's?
That's kind of the period I was thinking. A lot of the fabric has a coarser feel to it.
That's fascinating. Like a little quilt time capsule.
Oh, Jo! It looks like you'll have your work cut out for you but what a treasure you have/will have! I hope you'll post work in progress photos as you go along.
Cris in MT
The reason I decided to selvage the blocks is for DD who loves vintage. She was disappointed that she won't get a string quilt with vintage fabric.
Between 2014 and 2017 I showed my mom how to sew string blocks, told her I would make the quilts. Using her fabric scraps some from the 1960s and mine,she made enough blocks that I was able to make nine lap quilts. One for her and each of my eight siblings . I still have enough blocks to make one for myself. My mom is no longer able to sew blocks.
So this quilt just might be DDs Christmas gift.
That is a lovely quilt that was rescued. I bet it was kind of like a treasure hunt while you took it apart. Makes you wonder about the person who worked so hard to put it together. I rescued a beautiful hand pieced, full sized quilt top from the discard pile at an estate auction (I could not believe that it didn't sell!) and almost felt it an honor to finish it for the lady who worked so hard on it. As for the interesting insides of your quilt, it makes me think of the depression era quilters who made do with what they had and wasted nothing. Hope you show us a photo when you have it all redone.