Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 607625 views.
Midkid5

3/2/20

Any guess as to date the fabric?

Jo

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

3/2/20

Sorry, haven't a clue on that one.

Without better photos of the fabrics I am gonna say 50's fabrics. Can't see the back fabrics as well but 40's into 50's?

Midkid5

3/2/20

That's kind of the period I was thinking.  A lot of the fabric has a coarser feel to it.

Jo

Mishii

3/2/20

That's fascinating.  Like a little quilt time capsule.

5dogmom (CRISR5)

3/2/20

Oh, Jo!  It looks like you'll have your work cut out for you but what a treasure you have/will have!  I hope you'll post work in progress photos as you go along.

Cris in MT

Midkid5

3/2/20

The reason I decided to selvage the blocks is for DD who loves vintage.  She was disappointed that she won't  get a string quilt with vintage fabric.

Between 2014 and 2017 I showed my mom how to sew string blocks, told her I would make the quilts.  Using her fabric scraps some from the 1960s and mine,she made enough blocks that I was able to make nine lap quilts. One for her and each of my eight siblings .  I still have enough blocks to make one for myself.  My mom is no longer able to sew blocks.

So this quilt just might be DDs Christmas gift.

Jo

latterberry

3/3/20

That is a lovely quilt that was rescued.  I bet it was kind of like a treasure hunt while you took it apart.  Makes you wonder about the person who worked so hard to put it together.  I rescued a beautiful hand pieced, full sized quilt top from the discard pile at an estate auction  (I could not believe that it didn't sell!) and  almost felt it an honor to finish it for the lady who worked so hard on it.  As for the interesting insides of your quilt, it makes me think of the depression era quilters who made do with what they had and wasted nothing.  Hope you show us a photo when you have it all redone.

MarciainMD

3/4/20

The blocks look very pretty.  Be sure to show us the finished quilt.

Be sure to post pictures of your save!