Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 253330 views.
latterberry

May-3

judyinohio said:

Just goes to show how brain-dead I am after all these weeks of being cooped up with what's-his-name.   

I am so glad my DH is still working.  Could get ugly.

bornblesse2

May-3

Oh man Shelley, do I like that!  I so badly want to ask the name of that pattern....BUT, I got things to finish.  I can not start another handpiecing project.  I won’t  ask, so I donT get tempted!

i see you started a thread with how to....

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-3

bornblesse2 said:

I so badly want to ask the name of that pattern....BUT, I got things to finish.  I can not start another handpiecing project.  I won’t  ask, so I donT get tempted! i see you started a thread with how to....

I don't have a pattern .. I just used the pictures I found on the internet of the finished quilt.   

You can see that it's just an equilateral triangle.  Make that as large as you want to, realizing that you're going to have SIX of them for a finished cube.  Of course, the larger the triangle/block, the faster the finished layout will get done. :-)

The easiest way is to use a 60° triangle ruler to trace out the finished size.   Then, draw the little sides/borders onto that triangle and cut them apart.  THOSE are your 3 EPP pattern pieces for each triangle segment.  Make six of them for the finished hexagon/hollow cube.  The PITA part is tracing and cutting out those pieces by hand.  If you know someone ::cough:: with a digital cutting machine, that someone could cut the pieces for you.  :-)

The other pitfall is which triangle segments to sew to each other.  They MUST be sewn in specific positions otherwise you won't get the final 3D effect.  That's why I found it important to have a finished visual in front of me for reference.

The great thing, I think, about this project is that you can make the hollow cube blocks completely independent of the other blocks.  Unless you have a specific layout (like rainbow stripes or something) then the placement of the hollow cubes is completely arbitrary.   I'm going to leave the final layout until I've figure out how many hollow cubes I might need for a particular sized quilt.  I'm not sure how big I want the quilt to be at this time.  If I get fed up or impatient with the process, I'll make a smaller quilt.  But if I'm content with making hollow cubes, then I'll just continue and shoot for a larger sized quilt.  :-)

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-4

I spent last night "kitting" up several of these blocks just to compare and contrast the process of cut-sew-assemble one hollow cube at a time VS cutting a whole bunch at one time and  making little kits (packaged in small ziplocs) so I can just sew-assemble, i.e. be ready for a road trip.  

next Hollow Cube hexagon done.

latterberry

May-4

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

I don't have a pattern .. I just used the pictures I found on the internet of the finished quilt.  

I'm glad you aid that because I actually thought to myself that I could figure out the pattern from the picture.  It's the color choices and placement you would have to fiddle with.  I may just have to try one of these but I will certainly have to have the photo printed out and in front of me.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-4

I've done a number of quilts just by looking at a good,  clear picture to deconstruct it.

Pirate your girls will fight over this one, it’s gonna be a pretty one! 

Wow Shelley you really fell into the rabbit hole this time and can't find the exit!!!!! I think I first saw something like that in the mid 90's in Quilters Newsletter Magazine. Those are really cool looking and I could see them blown up and have other elements around them like applique. The basic unit looks really simple (the triangle with two different widths of strips on two sides)......................but I bet keeping track of what goes where is really tricky!!!!

What a cool new project. I can't wait to see what you come up with on this one.

I think I am going to cut out another pair of pants today. I tweaked the pattern again that I used for the lavender pants with the fun detail at the bottom. I have a nice brown shade that might be linen. Those should sew up quickly. If they look good I will cut out the final pair in the blue linen I got at retreat. I think I can also get a pair of shorts and maybe even a summer top out of the blue linen as well. I want the shorts for sure. It is already getting hot here.............for us that is in the high 80's mid afternoon and shorts are nice to keep cool.

I also never got the t-shirt quilt done......................I had no rotary cutter with me and not enough fabric for a backing without piecing..............not going to cut long strips that need to be accurate with scissors. Well I am reunited with my rotary cutter so will get going on the back......................it will have a few giant pinwheels on the back. I do love pieced backs as it just gives an unexpected surprise and giant blocks go really fast and allow for using smaller cuts of fabric and making them work.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

I've done a number of quilts just by looking at a good, clear picture to deconstruct it.

My first quilting projects were blocks for pillows and then a vest. My first quilt started in 1985 began my career of drafting a pattern from a photo. I think part of this is that I love puzzles and it is fun to see how things work for me. It is rare for me to actually use someone's pattern and even when I do I will likely deviate from that in some way.

Midkid5

May-4

So Ami, with all the new clothes you are making yourself are you also discarding equal amounts of the old ones? lol

Jo

Jacket looks really good on you.

• Edited May 4, 2020 4:34 pm  by  Midkid5