Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 253249 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-4

I've done a number of quilts just by looking at a good,  clear picture to deconstruct it.

Pirate your girls will fight over this one, it’s gonna be a pretty one! 

Wow Shelley you really fell into the rabbit hole this time and can't find the exit!!!!! I think I first saw something like that in the mid 90's in Quilters Newsletter Magazine. Those are really cool looking and I could see them blown up and have other elements around them like applique. The basic unit looks really simple (the triangle with two different widths of strips on two sides)......................but I bet keeping track of what goes where is really tricky!!!!

What a cool new project. I can't wait to see what you come up with on this one.

I think I am going to cut out another pair of pants today. I tweaked the pattern again that I used for the lavender pants with the fun detail at the bottom. I have a nice brown shade that might be linen. Those should sew up quickly. If they look good I will cut out the final pair in the blue linen I got at retreat. I think I can also get a pair of shorts and maybe even a summer top out of the blue linen as well. I want the shorts for sure. It is already getting hot here.............for us that is in the high 80's mid afternoon and shorts are nice to keep cool.

I also never got the t-shirt quilt done......................I had no rotary cutter with me and not enough fabric for a backing without piecing..............not going to cut long strips that need to be accurate with scissors. Well I am reunited with my rotary cutter so will get going on the back......................it will have a few giant pinwheels on the back. I do love pieced backs as it just gives an unexpected surprise and giant blocks go really fast and allow for using smaller cuts of fabric and making them work.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

I've done a number of quilts just by looking at a good, clear picture to deconstruct it.

My first quilting projects were blocks for pillows and then a vest. My first quilt started in 1985 began my career of drafting a pattern from a photo. I think part of this is that I love puzzles and it is fun to see how things work for me. It is rare for me to actually use someone's pattern and even when I do I will likely deviate from that in some way.

Midkid5

May-4

So Ami, with all the new clothes you are making yourself are you also discarding equal amounts of the old ones? lol

Jo

Jacket looks really good on you.

• Edited May 4, 2020 4:34 pm  by  Midkid5
Midkid5 said:

So Ami, with all the new clothes you are making yourself are you also discarding equal amounts of the old ones? lol

I had done a huge purge of clothes a couple of years ago and frequently get rid of smaller amounts of things that I no longer wear. I am not a minimalist and do not prescribe to the one in one out rule. That said I do not like to have a closet bulging with things that I do not wear often so frequently go thru and look at what I have and donate a few items or get rid of things that are just to tired to even donate. Usually at least twice a year when I am going thru warm or cold weather changes I have a good look to see what I have and what I need to add...............I will also get rid of things that I know I will not wear.

I have only made 5 items of clothing since the start of the year so really that is not a huge amount.

I just put up another blog post on https://enchantingquilts.blogspot.com This one is a jacket I finished a few weeks ago. I already wore it and it is really comfortable. I would love to be able to wear it somewhere other than around the house, at least a girl can dream.

I did cut out the brown linen pants today and think those will be a really nice spring/summer item to wear around the house so looking forward to that.

Now I need to get cutting on the backing for the t-shirt quilt..........hope to do that today as well.

Mishii

May-4

I love that jacket....it looks fantastic!

The panties are cute too, but how come we didn't get to see you model those?

Mishii said:

I love that jacket....it looks fantastic! The panties are cute too, but how come we didn't get to see you model those?

Thanks.........it only took 20 years to finish the jacket. I guess since I really loved the fabric it never got tossed during purges. Now that it is done I am really happy with it.

Maybe I will wear the panties during next retreat.............under my clothes!