Latest Nov-26 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest Nov-26 by keddykat75
Latest Nov-17 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest Nov-16 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR)
Latest Nov-15 by latterberry
Latest Nov-14 by tuckyquilter
Latest Nov-13 by Judy (DJZMOM)
Latest Nov-5 by lppenguins
Latest Nov-3 by Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto)
Latest Oct-30 by Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto)
How kind of you to offer, Cris. However, I think that my DD has dibs on that pillow and you are out of luck.
What pretty bright colors! I can't wait to see them all spread out. I don't generally do borders, but once in awhile one will call for it. I use a 2.5 strip for my binding--sew on the back and turn to the front. Try it on one of them and see how you like it.
It's still one of my favorites of all your color wheels! So very cheerful!
Cris in MT
It's fused and thus a "quick and dirty" project if you happen to have the fabrics on hand.
Should I double dog dare you to whip one up in your spare time?
Viola, I am trying another photo. I hope it's not sideways or upside down. This is the Birdhouse quilt that I appliqued while watching Alex Anderson the past month or so. She is from The Quilt Show and has been doing live shows from her home (for free) during this Covid time. I have tried to keep my brain working with new techniques. Not sure if I will do another finished edge applique, but it was fun to try.
If the photo isn't straight can someone tell me what to do next time? Thanks
Your photo of the cute bird house appliques showed up just fine.
As a matter of fact I liked the fact that the wall outlet showed up in the photo because it gave a sense of scale to your wall hanging, a sense of the size of the piece and I didn't have to ask about the measurements.
It look straight me.And a vary nice quilt.
Nice! You've been busy!
My latest Forever Project is now finished. :-)
It's no secret that I've been enamored for hand-piecing hexies for quite a while. I will admit that making them into Grandmother's Flower Garden rings has gotten boring. I've been on the look-out for something different and interesting to do with hexies.
I found an inspiration piece that put 4 hexies together in a diamond shape.
The quilter made tons of these in analogous colors of green, blue, and purple. Then she stitched them all together, right smack-dab up against each other. It looked gorgeous. I liked the look and the idea because it only required 4 hexies (less work, less fabric) and was ideally suited to using charm packs! I could get exactly (4) subcuts from each 5"x5" charm!
So, I merrily proceeded to make tons of these 4-unit hexies, using my scrap bins. (always looking for ways to use up scraps!) Therein was my downfall. After I had made a messload of these 4-unit hexies, I put them up on my design wall, stood back to gaze upon them. Holy moley, it looked like my scrap bins had been regurgitated. UGH. (no picture of this; I don't want to sear your eyes.)
I thought about it and realized why the inspiration piece was so pretty and mine was .... not. THEY used analagous colors that read as solids. MINE were pure scraps. Absolutely no thought as to color or design. And it was horrible.
Now I needed something to do with all these 4-unit hexies that I had made. And lordy, there were a LOT of them. It was kinda discouraging ... months of work and not only did I thoroughly dislike the original outcome, I also had no idea what to do with them. So, I fiddled around and came up with a half-cocked idea that was "reasonable": I'd stitch the 4-unit hexies together with some white-on-white filler hexies.
Originally, I thought to make a twin sized quilt, because I did have an awful lot of them. As I began to pin the rows of 4-units + filler hexies up on my design wall, I was becoming unhappy again. All I was seeing was the WHITE filler hexies, not the 4-unit hexies. I sure wasn't going to spend time and effort on a bed sized quilt that I was unhappy about.
So, I cut the idea down to a throw, about 50x60. I worked out the number of rows I'd need for this size and it was quite a few. Now, remember ... I *did* have all the 4-unit hexies I'd need (well, maybe I'd need to make a few more). But I still needed to sew them together into rows ... the number was daunting for a project that I'm not in love with.
I cut the project down *again* .. this time to a baby quilt and I'd applique a border around the whole thing to give it straight sides. As i worked on this size, i was just shaking my head. Never in my life have I made a **hand-pieced** baby quilt! It has always seemed to me to be way more work than was warranted. :-)
BUT, last night, I finally put in the last stitch on the border and this project is DONE! The size is 45"x52", which is a decent sized baby quilt. Unquilted top #73 now gets added to the stack. :-)
I'm still not enthralled with it. But, it's the best lemonade I could make with those 4-unit lemons that I had. I wasn't about to spend more time unpicking them to reduce them to single hexies, as I do have lots of single hexies "packed" together in piles of 4, waiting to be stitched together .. which now, they won't. So, at some point, I need to figure out what to do with *them*.
And to wind it all up, here is my finished baby quilt top. It only looks uneven because of the way it's been pinned to the sheet.
well, sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't - it hurts more when it was a forever project. Sorry you aren't has happy with it as you had hoped, but from your picture it still looks nice as a scrappy quilt. Definitely not as Wow as your tumbling blocks but still fine. I feel like that about my 1st forever project (hand pieced diamonds and hand appliqued border), spent a very long time on it, lots of thought, lots of hours and I don't even like it enough to hang it up as a wall hanging.