Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 473685 views.
bornblesse2

May-7

I am sitting at home today feeling a bit unmotivated to get going!  Tuesday and Wednesday I moved along on things that came home from my Monday charity day.  I pieced several backings so I could return them - I think it was 4 of them.  I came home with a little HST piece that I came across and had never seen before - since I sort everything that comes in, it leaves me wondering!  Lol...

anyway, I brought it home to see if I could make it large enough for a wheelchair lap - and I do mean just large enough to go over the knees in a lap!  Interestingly, I had left over scraps of the brown and the strip to border it.  And the yellow was folded up with it.  I would not of thought to use plaid in HSTs, and then I was daring to use strips and plaid, but it is a manly little thing!   Lol, large enough to finish into something useful!

this morning I finally got up to search in my sewing room for a jelly - gonna take a improv class from Ray the end of the month.

then saw in my charity basket I still have 2 small green and white quilts that needed borders to finish them.  Found some prints that would work and got then pieced and while at it, had green backings that I pieced.  I didn’t sew the borders on, but they are set together to work on later.

I can’t stand my sewing area - it’s depressing!  So, I am trying to find some gumption to tidy and clean!  Organize a few more of those projects so I have a ready to work on pile, and extra fabrics put away! 
my room is cluttered!  
wish me gumption and luck!

Love the plaid lap quilt! It sounds like you are getting a ton done. 

I am finishing up binding and hanging sleeve on a big art quilt. Also need to get Yetta's quilt loaded. I the evenings I have started garment sewing in the RV again. I just do a few steps and make steady progress.

I am now doing industrial sewing for DBIL. The lady that sews for him is taking time off to be with her mother who is in hospice down in Mexico. I am having fun learning the different big industrial sewing machines .

bornblesse2

May-7

Ami, what liked of sewing are you doing for BIL?

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-7

So, I'm now working on the large hexie quilt that's loaded on the longarm.   **At one point**, I had one continuous thread quilting design mapped for it, months (probably years) before I ever loaded it..  I was rather pleased with myself.

Now that I'm starting the quilting, I realize that my printed diagram doesn't exactly match the way the hexagon flowers are actually loaded.  The printed design is one orientation and the way I loaded the quilt is another.  Sadly, I can't use my previously drawn path.   At least, my brain can't figure out a way to convert it.  Sigh.

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to *do* a continuous thread path with the way the hexagon flowers are on the machine.  There might be a few backtracked curves and/or lines but as this quilt is for me ... and once it's laundered, no one is gonna be inspecting it that closely, I'll say it's good enough.   And if some busybody DOES point out where my quilting isn't quite as precise as it could be, I'll suggest that she is invited to quilt the next one for me.  Hmph.

This break has gone on long enough ... back to the longarm!  :-)

judyinohio

May-7

Your quilt, your quilting.

And there's always "good enough for the galloping horse" ... say, does that horse ever backtrack?

In the meantime, I have finished my version of the "Beads" quilt top that Dee showed us some time ago. Hers was made from novelty fabrics placed with come care to colors. Mine uses leftover batiks in a rather higgledy-piggledly layout but at least I caught the errors and got all my beads going in decent rows.

As I was getting ready to stitch on the slab-o-borders I wondered if I should insert a narrow border of orangey-red before the gorgeous blue but then I talked myself out of it for two reasons. Reason One; my shoulders were really, really achy today and didn't need to spend more time with extra fabric shoving and Reason Two: this thing was already gonna be 55" x 76" and didn't need any more inches of fabric.

Isn't that border fabric supercalifragilisticexpialadocious? It is from the Stonehenge Ombre (Lagoon) that I am using for the backing of this thing.  I had plenty to make the backing, the border and the binding. Whee!

Judy that birder really makes the colors in your quilt pop!

He makes an arm Sling called Nu Sling. He is also working on a brace fir bad shoulders that needed to be modified.  

There are some giant target screen things he makes for a game place.

He just got a huge order for a party place. We are gonna make a ton of huge bags for them and some covers for the stuff they tie their tents down to.

Some pretty diverse things for sure.

Midkid5

May-7

I really like your quilt, will tuck the design away for use if quilt mojo returns.

The quilt I started in Oct 2020, is two thirds done laying on the guest bed hasn't been touched in months.  Did make a quick utility quick for brother out of some old shirts in January. Have made a few tops for grandkids.  Plan was to make some smaller Christmas gift projects thru the year but that's not happening either.

Jo

judyinohio

May-7

Jo,  lately I am a case of "the mind is willing but the flesh is weak".  

Dee keeps sharing these cool ideas of neat scrap quilts that are bright and colorful that make my fingers itch to cut and sew. But at age 80 there are body parts that just don't want to sit hunkered for hours at the sewing machine any more. I have purchased all of the "cheaters" I can ... cutting contraptions and pre-cut things and I've done everything that I can to make the work easier but there are still limitations that cramp my working hours.

(Plus hiding in the sewing room is a refuge from Grumpy, my DH who is not much fun to hang out with any more. Mishii has her PITA and I have my Grumpy.)

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-7

Judy, I've liked that Beads layout for a long time.  Never have quite gotten around to making it .. but some day. :-)   You've done it in scrappy ... that's fantastic.  I've seen it done in many other colorways ... all fantastic!  I think this is one of those patterns that you just can't go wrong.

Stonehenge fabric.  Say no more.  That's another out of the park home run!  I've never seen a Stonehenge fabric that I haven't immediately coveted.  :-)