Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 476091 views.

My longest forever project I started in 1998 and bound in 2018 or so was my handquilted wolf. I actually made the binding when I pieced the quilt way back in 1998 and I managed to keep track of it all those years so it was ready to go when I finally got to that step many years later.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jun-17

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

I've completed my first row of eggs

I'm sure the girl quails are looking down to find their eggs.wink

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jun-17

Mishii said:

And then I bought a Freddie.

Haven't heard of that.  Sure hope you enjoy it.  You will use it.  Did you finish Sandy's quilt or did you save it for the new machine?  Enjoy!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jun-17

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

I am FINISHED with the quilting!

I looks great!  Hooray for finishing!  Well, almost finishing.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jun-18

Along with quilting the Hexagon Forever Project, I have also been working on my needleturn applique Forever Project, "A Gathering of Quails".

I am pleased to say that the interior applique of the rows of quail and the rows of eggs has now been completed. :-)

Next up .... a small, narrow, contrasting border.  Because of the unevenness of the strips I cut, I may need to rip out some of the eggs on the ends and re-applique them.  Fortunately, the eggs are small and it's not a huge or arduous problem.

After the contrast border comes a wider border in the (allegedly) the same fabric as was used in the rows.  I'm not exactly sure how much of that fabric I have left, as I hadn't bought the background fabric for this project and only used it because I had it and it looked like it would be enough.   And, actually, it WOULD be enough, if I stuck to the original pattern .. but I haven't.  I've stitched an additional row of quails & eggs and I want the borders to be wider.  Soooooo ... I'll need to see what I can do with the fabric I have left VS what I want to do.   I may need to come up with some Creative Solutions.  :-)

sueinIL

Jun-18

I love the depth of color that the reds and neutrals bring.  You could never get this range range of color with one fabric, even a batik.

I have 2 questions:  1-- will your quilt be quite heavy?  And 2--how do you quilt these layers (or not)?

I will enjoy seeing your progress!

Sue in IL

judyinohio

Jun-18

Anything I like, it's a hint that you want to see a photo of my progress.  LOL

Here's how seventeen blocks look pinned to my design wall;I plan on creating a total of 42 blocks. I have purchased a pantograph that should look good on this from Urban Elementz which I will stitch in variegated red thread.

https://www.urbanelementz.com/lava-lamp.html

MelRN

Jun-18

Lovely, Judy! Looks like a lot of work! :D 

judyinohio

Jun-18

You are correct. It is indeed a lot of work.

However, I am retired and have nothing better to fill my days; I stitch on these blocks and I work 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles in between trips to the grocery store, loads of laundry and cooking meals.

My DD loves red and this might become a good Christmas gift for her this year. (Or next year.) If the quilt turns out as I have imagined it will look great on her midnight blue living room couch.