Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 797055 views.

Nutcracker is done.  I am pleased with him.  The fringe on the shoulders don't match perfectly but I'm going to leave them.  The eyes did turn out well.  and I did the feather using the fishbone stitch, looks pretty cool up close.

Now I really have to add the frame & sashing to figure out how long the garland needs to be.  I don't need a lot of the contrast color, fingers crossed I have enough in my stash of something.

Dee you really kept at that and just like that you are done! Now for putting together and getting it quilted in time for Christmas. It sure is pretty.

I figured out the yardage I need for the DWR quilt I need to start for the wedding that was this past July..........need to get going on it.

We are in New Mexico this week and I do not have much sewing stuff here. I did bring a quilt to bind so will work on that.

My focus on getting stuff done is tackling the kitchen table. It is a round oak table we got about 24 years ago when we moved into our new house up in Washington. The finish is gone so I stripped it down yesterday and am working on the sanding................it already looks so much better. I want to have it done and back in the kitchen before we leave. I have been wanting to refinish this for the past few years but never got around to it.

well, not quite ready.  There is a garland section that goes across the top of all these.  I've prepped about 30 leaves and a dozen berries, but I don't want to sew them down yet.   I think my quilt is smaller than the original because I changed the arrangement, removed a block with a partridge I didn't like and replaced it with the narrow nutcracker.  I don't want the garland to be too long, that's why I think I have to finish the lower section 1st to make sure of the width.  Otherwise I'm worried my garland will be the wrong size.  But I should have that resolved today.

If you want what is left of the thin fabric, I will keep it for you.  There is a lot of it, including scraps, and I would be glad for you to have it, as you have a specific purpose in mind for it.  I have thought of one or two things to do with it, but honestly, those are very low on my list, as I would rather use my better-quality fabric for quilts and such.  I never thought of using it for papier mache, so it will be interesting to see what you make of it.  I will put YOUR name on these boxes, and hang onto them until the next occasion when we finally get together again.  

5dogmom (CRISR5)

9/6/21

It's beautiful, Dee.  I'm glad you used hand embroidery, too!  Fishbone stitch is perfect for the feather on the nutcracker's hat.

Cris in MT

Do we need to schedule our trip to see Carolyn in KS to "jive" with your trip to Aunt Margaret's?  Now that Carolyn is doing better, that could be possible.  It would be her call.  But I could bring these boxes of "thin" fabric to your place then.  

LABFIEND

9/6/21

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

If you want what is left of the thin fabric, I will keep it for you. 

Give away what you can at the Craft swap, but I just hate to see it in the dumpster.  And yes, one of my quilty buddies  and i discovered we like monsters, and both have read books from Dan Reeder, one is "Make Something Ugly...for a change"  He does paper mache and then used cloth and glue to add cloth mache, and makes monsters.  I went to the thrift store and bought several dolls for $1 each, to change into monsters.  And all those eyeballs you gave me......buhaaaa!  And he says to use really thin material , soo....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uil0F8qGxI

LABFIEND

9/6/21

We can get in touch with her and check, but are you up for going to KS also?  We could just  go to Wichita when Carolyn is up for it.