Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 506867 views.

well here is one.  Not sure exactly how I feel about it.  thinking.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-22

oooooo.   that is very pretty ... but I can see it is also very fiddly.  I think it might depend on how much you love the fabrics you're using, what the final effect is gonna be, and how much time you're willing to spend on it.

It *could* be a bona fide Forever Project ... work on one or two units in between working on other projects.  It doesn't even need to be a full size quilt.  You could make enough to create a table runner or accent piece.

That's what I did with the 5" practice hexies I did when I was deciding whether I even liked the EPP process.  I made enough to create a table center piece.  Unfortunately, I didn't think *enough* ahead as to fabric choices, so this practice center piece goes with absolutely NOTHING in my house.  LOL!  But, it was a very good learning experience.  :-)

I actually kinda do like the combination of techniques that you used.  Machine piecing the cream/rust was a brilliant idea and then covering the center with a separate, small hexie is the perfect solution.

Midkid5

Sep-22

I think it's amazing how you can look ahead and know that you didn't want all the seams and have an idea how to change it.  If I were doing it I would struggle with the center hexie direction, do I center it in the middle of stripes or do I try to match the angle of the larger hexie.  I try not to let these little thing bug me but I know if I were to do this pattern it would.

Jo

I was planning on "forever" when I ordered the pattern.  I thought it was EPP, but I didn't read closely enough.  It is paper pieced.  not English Paper Pieced.  Ah well.  I could make it EPP of course, but that is too much for beginner.  I really really don't want to get into the middle of another forever project that is painful like the one I am forcing myself to finish now.  I have all the petals done, now I'm sewing them into rows.  Aggggrh.  there are SOOOOO many seams at the intersections, I had to get longer pins.  It is all hand pieced, and I'm dreading putting the rows together.  I had shrunk the original pattern which was a MISTAKE.  But I've put so much time into it - and it does look really pretty.  I'm just not enjoying it.  Ah, maybe I need to go find another applique pattern as I know I love that.  decisions decisions.

don't give me too much credit.   I've learned the hard way - as soon as I saw how it was designed I went - nope, been there, done that.  Paper piecing is especially notorious for putting lots of fabric layers in small spaces.

super teeny tiny hexis - yikes

Suze (casuzenn)

Sep-22

wow...

I still need to finish my teeny tiny hexie basket. Its around here somewhere.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-22

Uh.... I think I'll pass on this one!

Agreed, but still interesting to see.

I spent the evening cutting up scraps for MSQC Tiny houses pattern, very simple. Tho kind of wishing I had kept sone of those noodles I recently gave away, they would have worked well. still  I got 50 sets cut from my scrap bin. Those will keep me busy if I get the llamas done too fast at my retreat.

Here's something to go with Marion's llama quilt - not a bad price for a kit.  (But I have never made a latch-hook rug, so I don't know if I could do it without going crazy.  But it IS a cute rug.)  

https://www.amazon.com/Latch-Hook-Rug-Kit-Llama/dp/B08SC2N42X/####?pd_rd_i=B08SC2N42X&psc=1