Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 507434 views.

Suze thanks so much for telling me about the back stitch.  Part of why I had been hesitant about EPP is I don't like how you can see the stitches on the front - it always seems distracting to me.  I really like how this 1st one turned out.  The stitches are completely invisible.  I had already printed several pages of the machine paper piecing patterns on freezer paper, so I just ironed the pages to a 2nd sheet and cut them out without the seam allowances and I'm using that instead of card stock for the forms.  It is working very well, though on occasion I have to re-fuse them to the fabric.  I'm then gluing down the seams.  Also using masking tape to hold the pieces together while I sew using the back stitch method.  I'm not sure how well that will work once you start sewing the larger rows together, but will cross that bridge when I get to it.  No idea how large this will eventually be. 

I can see how the precision of EPP could become addictive for me.  I'm already feeling the siren song to tempt me away from finishing my current forever project of hand piecing - MUST FINISH that one!

Suze (casuzenn)

Sep-30

I have my wee hexie basket project that I started eons ago... I started it before I learned about the Flat Back stitch...and I am not liking that the stitching is showing...

Might just have to REDO the whole entire thing with the Flat Back stitch..

I got a set of the SewTites - magnetic pieces that some EPPers are using with Flat Back to keep the pieces snuggled up against each other.. Have not tried them much yet. They seem like they are overkill for the wee hexies but your project is bigger so they might just work for you.

I saw those at a recent show but wondered if they wouldn't still slip around.  I've just been using masking tape and it works pretty well - though I think I'll want clear tape when I go to match the seams piece to piece.  I did resort to folding the pieces together when I started the seam, just so I could get a couple of stitches right on the corners.   I couldn't see them well due to the seam allowance folded over. 

I'm going to go through my scraps tonight and see what pieces are big enough to get the 6 blades out of the same fabric.  I don't have very many largish pieces left as I had already gone through and cut out for 2 other projects - kind of odd to think I don't have a lot of scraps.  But plenty in the folded fabrics.

Oh look, just noticed that leaves are starting to fall outside my window - yipee, fall is here!  We've still had pretty hot temps during the day (90's) but the mornings & evenings are cooling off some.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-30

Progress pictures on my EPP, "Forget Me Not" by Sue Daley.

I've discovered that if I make "units" of hexies, they are easier to sew to another unit than if I did it hexie by hexie.  Making these "units" also eliminates the need for me to COUNT every single time.

Here is a border unit that will go around 2 con-joined diamond units.  The diamond units go inside the border.

Here is a shot of the whole thing, so far.  You can see (2) borders have been sewn to the con-joined diamond units.  All of the diamond units have been sewn together but NOT sewn to the center medallion.

I've also heard of the flat-back stitch and I have tried it.  Honestly, it was a bit on the fiddly side for me, even though from the right side, it does look lovely.  I still use the whip stitch, as having the small stitches show on the front doesn't bother me.  I also wonder about the strength of the flat-back vs the whip stitch.  Do the two stitches have comparable ability to hold the pieces together without popping under stress?

flat back stitch, it is a bit harder to hold the pieces, but I decided it's not any more difficult than applique.  and I love how it looks on the front.  I am going through more threads than just 2.

judyinohio

Sep-30

You guys are making my brain melt.  tired_face

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Oct-1

You can get an LED bulb for your FW that doesn't get hot.  Haven't burned myself since I switched.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Oct-1

Very cute llamas!  Be careful.  You'll finish them before your retreat.

MelRN

Oct-2

I started working on a simple quilt..it's like 9 patch ish kinda thing. I was very excited about it when I designed it but then the fabric (which was "good" fabric...Kaufman unbleached fabric) was not good. It's very stretchy and I'm finding it a pain in the butt! Grr.