Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 636625 views.
Suze (casuzenn)

11/6/21

wow... terrific design.  Your quilting is exquisite..

Thank you! The quilting is taking a chunk of time but I am pretty happy with it. 

Not only have I joined my local quilt group, and went to the meeting on Thursday to plan the activities and programs for next year's monthly meetings, but also a scrapbooking group has let me join them whenever they meet at the library for crafting days, or like today, when we met at the community room at the mall.  I'm the only one who is not a "scrapper," but they are very nice people and I just enjoy meeting up with them and getting to know them better.  I just sit at my table, listen to the conversation, ask a question occasionally, and work on whatever project I bring with me.  Today I won the door prize - a basket of baking mixes (cake mix, muffin mix, PB cookie mix, frosting, sprinkles) and a mixing bowl and spatulas.  I was working so hard, I didn't even notice her taking my picture!  

You do look like you are really into your project. Congratulations on winning the prize.

A couple of weeks ago I cut out all the parts for a double wedding ring king sized quilt. The units of 4 blocks that make a ring finish at 16" and I need 25 of those blocks. It took 3 days to cut it all out and put the kit into a box that traveled to New Mexico and back and was not touched. (I did work on some other things that made that trip. Yesterday I decided I really needed to get going on this project. As of tonight I have pieced arcs for 19 blocks so 6 blocks to do tomorrow. All total I need 200 arcs for the quilt so at 6 pieces per arcs that is 1200 pieces of fabric......wow!.

So if I get them all done tomorrow the next step will be pressing seams and trimming the arcs.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

11/7/21

DWR can be a real bugger to piece nicely.   Are you hand piecing or by machine?

LABFIEND

11/7/21

Ha Ha, by the pic, looks like you are alone in the room!  Glad you had company and they seem like a good bunch to hang out with!  And you win a basket of goodies!!

I saw a Donna Jordan video where she used a Cut-Rite template set. The big piece is 1/4 the usual template so you make square blocks instead of circles. Then the arc pieces are six sections you sew together and then you cut that template with an arc template so the finished arc is perfect. There are also little slots you cut into the cut pieces to line up your parts. After the video I thought wow that sure makes this much easier. I have a small wall hanging size I made years ago in the pickle dish variation of DWR so I know this is a difficult piecing project. I do hope to finish sewing the remainder of the arcs today.

Oh and when I cut this I cut 8 layers of fabric at a time so it went much faster. 

This is my test block. The real quilt has a cream background. The arcs are made of greens, blues and blue-green and the peices at the corners are two shades of blue.  Also there is no scalloped edge. I will add strips of beige and blue to make the quilt drop over the sides of the bed.

viola (sissly4)

11/7/21

I am glad you are enjoying your self.Maybe you will later come to be a scrapper.