Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 609854 views.

Well I finished quilting my 3" nine patch today. Now I need to go to the fabric store for just the right binding. It will make a great handwork project for my trip to Nre Mexico next week. This is one of my older UFO tops and I am delighted the quilting part is done.

bornblesse2

11/15/21

That’s gorgeous!

latterberry

11/16/21

Both of those quilt are so pretty and .  someone will be very fortunate t receive them!  You gals ;must really sew up a storm on your weekend get togethers.  Good for you!

latterberry

11/16/21

It's going to be fun watching your journey through this quilt.

judyinohio

11/16/21

I wasn't going to post each and every block but you are egging me on, aren't you?

Next one is going to be a block called "Buckwheat" .... my DM always made the best buckwheat pancakes and I found a "Buckwheat" block on Marcia's Quilter's Cache so that has to be included.

For some reason I cannot locate Aunt Jemima's Buckwheat pancake mix any more ... must not be PC.

I hope Nathan will demand the quilt his mother made. Of course, that might make her dig her heels in and keep it. Divorce is terrible sometimes. 

latterberry

11/16/21

I'm just curious to see what all you come up with.  How many blocks will you need?  Will you have a gray kitty in there?  

I  saw Aunt Jemima at a few places online, but also found this-

On February 9, 2021, PepsiCo announced that the brand would be renamed as Pearl Milling Company. The new brand launched that June, one year after the company announced the change.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

11/22/21

On the quilting front, I am working on my "color blocked hexie" Forever Project.  Here are the orange and pink segments ... although the hexies of those colors are stitched together, the segments themselves are just pinned to the sheet behind them and might not stay in those positions.  When the color segments of purple, blue, green, and red get stitched, they will join the crowd.  

I'm waiting for the applique book to be delivered so that I can continue to work on the EPP "Forget Me Not" project.  I'm also waiting for the kit of "Inner Cube" to be delivered, alledgedly some time in December.

On the non-quilting front, I FINALLY finished digitizing the 72 page scrapbook of Mr. Pirate's maternal grandparents.  It took FOREVER to scan all the physical pages.  It took another FOREVER to go through the digitizing process so that all 72 pages had forward & backward links to each other.  I'm glad that one is done.   

But, there is no rest for the wicked.  I have also completed the physical scrapbook of Mr Pirate's mother's childhood.  That album has **74** pages.  Thankfully, they have all be scanned but in the coming weeks, I will be doing the digitization process for all THOSE pages.   It's very tedious and time consuming.   But since there is ever only going to be ONE physical scrapbook, making a digital version is the way for all the rest of the family members to see it.

judyinohio

11/22/21

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

I have also completed the physical scrapbook of Mr Pirate's mother's childhood. That album has **74** pages.

My mind boggles.

Was Mr. Pirate's mother famous? Was the family rich? How did this child from that long ago accumulate that many photos, diplomas, pressed posies,  etc. to fill 74 pages?  I am truly curious because that family must have saved everything.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

11/22/21

"Saving everything ".  On a nutshell, bingo. 

And with the help of Ancestry.com and newspapers.com. I found where they lived,  news articles that mentioned them.  I "inherited" school records, all sorts of photographs. 

With this family,  I had an embarrassing hoard of photos..... contrast that with an album of the previous generation where there was almost a complete lack of photos. 

Mr Pirate's maternal grandmother was heavily involved in the entertainment industry .... she was a singer and stage actress. There were quite a few studio portraits and playbills of her.  His maternal grandfather formed the first symphony of Vallejo,  CA, as well as playing 1st violin.  He also worked for the US Navy, building templates/molds to construct warships.  There was quite a bit of material to draw on.

But, you are quite right.... they saved A LOT!