Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

One Annoying Thing About Quilting is .....   General Discussion

Started Jan-11 by judyinohio; 4797 views.
judyinohio

Jan-11

..... having to use a quarter-inch seam when piecing blocks.

That's going to be my "mini-rant" for this thread.  You are most welcome to pick your "most annoying thing" to continue on this thread.  stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

As I have been stitching together the ten-inch paper foundation blocks of my Pink & Purple Madness project I've been using the Mary Ellen Hopkins method of PPM (Personal Private Measurement) and basing my seam allowance on the width of my walking foot. (Love using my walking foot on old Cecil Faye when I have paper backed blocks because it just works very well.)

Anyhow, the walking foot gives me a  3/8 inch seam allowance and that seam presses open so easily compared to pressing open a 1/4 inch seam. Can't explain why, but it just does.  More room for my old fingers? 

(Yes, weird Judy does not press her seams to one side but almost always presses them open;  that pressing to the dark side is  another "thing" of quilting that is annoying.   wink)

So, anyone else care to voice an opinion about quilting annoyances?

Mishii

Jan-11

judyinohio said:

voice an opinion about quilting annoyances?

Having to press seams open. joy  Makes me insane.  It's so fiddly!

Other than that, if I get annoyed, it is usually due to user error.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-11

At least with the purple and pink strip blocks, it doesn't matter what your seam allowance is.  Never thought about using my walking foot for those blocks.  My annoyances with quilting are self inflicted, like when I need to use "jack".   My other main frustration is when I can't figure out what to do by the pattern.  I blame that on a poorly written pattern.  Of course, it could be my aging brain.wink

judyinohio

Jan-11

I would say that there is no problem with your brain, Cathy, but instead there are a lot of poorly written patterns out there.

Just because a person can self-publish and sell a pattern in a baggie does not mean the person can write clear instructions.  In the past I have bought some patterns in baggies off the hooks at various local quilt shops and regretted the purchases very much. Nicely photographed sample quilt that looks appealing and absolutely junk instructions inside.  confounded

I stopped buying that kind of pattern a long time ago.

At least you have the assurance that the patterns in the pages of  a published book have been vetted by an editor and an editing team at the publishing house.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-11

judyinohio said:

Just because a person can self-publish and sell a pattern in a baggie does not mean the person can write clear instructions.

Truer words have never been spoken.

I participated in a 'learn some quilting motifs" quilt a long in the late summer last year.  That was the hook that got me, as I'm always interested in learning new/different quilting techniques, motifs and ideas.  (That remains one of my huge stumbling blocks.)    I've ranted about this project before, ad naseum, but the bottom line is that the pattern we were required to buy to participate OMITTED AN ENTIRE STEP in the piecing process.   I'm sure the newbies were completely frustrated and puzzled.

And, no ... I did not learn any new quilting stuff.

Not being able to spend as much time quilting as much as I would like to.

In reply toRe: msg 5
judyinohio

Jan-11

Since I once was a fifth grade teacher (long, long ago) I've always had a sharp eye on the way teachers present themselves and their methods and materials.  Kids cannot learn if the teacher is vague and/or the materials are confusing.  The same is true for adults.

This teacher on YouTube has a whiz-bang of an excellent idea on finishing a binding but her fabrics make her lesson rather  confusing, confusing enough that I had to replay the video over and over to get her method straight in my head. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuS76wVW210

She should have used better fabric choices to demonstrate her idea.  (A binding fabric that contrasted with the quilt would have been helpful.)

She should have used better lighting. 

She should have used better camera angles.

Still, making that snip is a whiz-bang of an idea and now I use it every time I finish a binding. 

IMHO,  craft teachers on YouTube should have a total stranger who is familiar with their field evaluate their lesson before they are allowed to be "on the air".  LOL

• Edited January 11, 2019 8:12 pm  by  judyinohio
Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-11

I know poor instructions are to blame sometimes but I feel like I should be able to make sense of them.  I have taught many nursing classes and know that I am a visual learner and best if I read it, see it and hear it.  Hard to get that from a book or YouTube.

sueinIL

Jan-12

And I would add, Judy, to your complaints about video tutors:  Please stop spending more time on the telling than on the showing, These ladies (and maybe men, too, but I haven't watched any lately) hold onto, pet, point, lovingly pet, tap, point, smooth, hold in two fingers and flip back fabric with another finger,  seams that haven't even been sewn yet,  smooth out,  point....... all as their hands and the fabric are the only things you see in the video!!!  Aaaaarrrrggghhhh! (with apologies to Pirate).  And maybe then with two minutes left to go, do they actually put the d--ned thing under the needle and show you what happens!  

My personal pet peeve (stress the "pet")

Sue in IL

Sue:  When I first started watching videos and tutorials on YouTube, I was hungry for more and more video content on quilting and sewing.  I quickly found out which presenters do it in a clear, understandable way that is pleasant to watch.  I gradually learned which videos were going to be time-wasters.  I do not mind if a video is a long one, as long as it uses the time efficiently.

The ones I now avoid most are the streaming videos, where the presenter spends half of her time greeting people who are entering and leaving, reading those remarks out loud, and responding to the comments.  In doing so, they stop whatever they are demonstrating and pay more attention to the people who are watching than what they are working on.  Those videos go on and on and become very boring.  So I now usually avoid ALL live streaming videos for that reason. 

Much more effective are presenters who record themselves demonstrating whatever item they are constructing or whatever technique they aim to teach, with full attention to giving all the steps and clear views of what they are doing.  Then later, they "premiere" the video with a live chat session, so people are able to view the video and chat/leave remarks at the same time, but the demonstration is not constantly interrupted when they stop to greet people and respond to their remarks.  They have a chance to chat and remark on what is going on in the video, but the chat does not interrupt the original video, so if one wants to just watch the video without those interruptions, or without participating in the chat, they can do so.  Otherwise, the videos go on way too long.  I have tuned in to learn something from the video, not listen in on a huge video chat session.