Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

One Annoying Thing About Quilting is .....   General Discussion

Started Jan-11 by judyinohio; 4812 views.
mom1me2

Jan-15

Lordy, can they make anything 'quiltie' affordable?????  This is what I have been saying I need for a long time.  But, at that price, I am going to have to find a good paying street corner to do my table dances on.  LOL

Mishii

Jan-15

The price of the machine pales in comparison to the dies.  Because you need a lot of dies.  Worth it though I think.....I use mine all the time.

If you do decide to jump in, look very hard at the electric one....I think that might be more beneficial to you than the crank.

LABFIEND

Jan-15

You CAN get practiced and learn to cut straight without the accuquilt!!  And if you do strings or scrappy, the cuts don't even matter!!  I like strings for that reason, and the fact that I have tons of scraps!!

judyinohio

Jan-15

I agree 100%.

I looked at the Accuquilt seriously and concluded that the fabric wastage (is that a word?) was too much for my thrifty soul.  But to each her own.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-15

judyinohio said:

I looked at the Accuquilt seriously and concluded that the fabric wastage (is that a word?) was too much for my thrifty soul. 

I have a die cut machine also .. the Vagabond 2; it's a competitor to the Accuquilt.   At this time, I don't have any problems with cutting fabric.  I don't have undue pressure on my joints and I can cut strips accurately.   Personally, like you Judy, I think many of the fabric cutting dies waste much more fabric as compared to me cutting the fabric with a rotary cutter.  BUT, if there are joint problems, that's another story.

What I *have* used my die cutting machine for (besides the obvious paper crafting) is cutting out obnoxious shapes ... like double pointed leaves.  Or circles/ovals.  Or long skinny leaves.  Or simple flowers.   If you put fusible webbing on the back of the fabric first, you'll cut out amazingly accurate applique shapes.   Generally speaking, I don't care for the fusible webbing applique but if I starch/stiffen the heck out of the fabric, so it's like a piece of cardboard, then I can cut out needleturn applique shapes very easily.  After cutting, a quick soak/rinse will remove the stiffening, leaving pliable fabric.  Since these are not straight line shapes, I really can't cut them any more frugally by hand and having each shape just exactly the same as all its buddies is wonderful.

To be honest, I mainly use my die cutting machine for paper stuff, not fabric .. but the option is there.

And some of us don't mind having scraps.  I don't have an Accuquilt or other cutter, but if I did, I am sure I could find something to do with the scraps!  

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-15

the problem, as I see it, is that you need to cut the fabric into 6" wide strips to feed into the machine.  It won't accommodate anything wider.  However, you will NOT get (3) 2" strips from that 6" width of fabric .. the dies don't work that way.  The dies have their shapes spaced apart from each other and do NOT share a common cutting line.  There is always space around the shapes and that's where the useless waste comes in.

You could get (1) 5.5" strip.  Or (2) 2.5" strips.  Or any combination less than 6" wide (like one 2" and one 3" strip).  And that's where the waste comes in.  From a 6" wide strip of fabric, *I* can accurately cut (3) 2" strips.  With the Accucut (or any other die cutting machine), you are going to have little, narrow, skinny waste strips that, honestly, could only be used for stuffing pillows or art quilts where you put tulle on top of all the tiny pieces and quilt over everything.   The waste from most of the die cuts couldn't even be used for Sharon's crumb blocks.

But, again, if you have a mobility problem and using the dies is a way you can get the strips or shapes that you need, then by all means, use that aid!  It's a tool be used to whatever advantage you can.

I know that some quilters are reassured that the pieces always come out accurate, and the waste does not bother them.  'Tis good that there are different tools for different quilters!

I am like you -- would really rather just cut my own.  And I am mostly a more "liberated" quilter anyway, preferring to make things where accuracy is not the most important factor.  LOL  

Mishii

Jan-15

I have very little waste.....mainly slivers as I would with rotary cutting.  It's faster and more accurate so I like it!

Mishii

Jan-15

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

There is always space around the shapes and that's where the useless waste comes in.

They do share a cutting line....at least mine do, I can't speak for others.  I have little to no waste.  I don't use 6" strips, I just put whatever I want cut on the die, the rest of it hangs off.  It gets folded up and put back in the stash.