Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

puzzle christmas   Off-Topic Chat

Started 1/29/19 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 4237 views.
judyinohio

2/23/19

My car's license plate reads QULTER. (Someone else in Ohio beat me to QUILTER.) 

I have a bumper sticker that reads "Behind Every Great Quilter There's a Huge Pile of Fabric"

So I have been stopped a few times in the parking lot of a grocery store (or some such place) and asked a few questions about "Is it hard to become a quilter?" or "What does it take to start quilting?"   The first thing I ask the person is "Do you like to work jigsaw puzzles?" 

If the person answers "yes" to that question I tell the person that they might like quilt making because the same skills are needed for quilting and puzzle solving .... an eye for color, patience and pleasure in putting bits and pieces together to make a whole thing out of small schnibbles. (I always get them with the word "schnibbles". ) 

I usually recommend the Carol Doak book (Your First Quilt Book) or I suggest Jenny Doan's Missouri Star website.

If the person answers "no" then I say "Maybe not" and explain why ...

• Edited February 23, 2019 5:19 pm  by  judyinohio
Mishii

Mar-30

Just out of curiosity, what does everyone do with their finished puzzles?

Pita is back on the puzzle making so I'm going to get him some challenging ones.....he had a 500 piece that took him what seemed like minutes to complete.  Heh

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Mar-31

500 pieces is nothing.  There are some 3-D ones out there.  I haven't tried one though.

Mishii

Mar-31

Cathy (cacnurse1) said:

500 pieces is nothing.

I don't do puzzles, it seemed like a lot to me!  I'm going to get a 1500 piece for him.  That should keep him entertained for a bit.

my son got me some puzzles by Buffalo, I enjoyed the quality as well as the pictures.  Challenging but not crazy.  I box mine back up after admiring them for a while.  Sometimes I do them again later, sometimes give them away.  I put quilts on my walls, no room for cardboard puzzles.