Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

An inexpensive hack for pressing mat (maybe)   General Discussion

Started Apr-3 by sueinIL; 780 views.
judyinohio

Apr-3

When I press seams open in working with my quilting blocks I do not use steam and I use a cotton setting on my vintage iron which is quite hot.  I could not use those polyester craft felt fabrics like you are describing because my vintage iron would melt the poly felt after a  good workout.  The felted wool gets warm but doesn't react badly to my hot iron.

We obviously have chosen to use different techniques to flatten our seams.  relaxed

sueinIL

Apr-3

I don't usually use steam either, but I was trying to give the craft felt a test of the hottest, steamiest conditions to see how much it could take. The video demonstrations of the wool mats show that fabrics don't slide or go wonky when they're pressed on it.  That's a test for tomorrow!

Sue in IL

latterberry

Apr-4

Hey-- it's worth a shot.  I don't know why it wouldn't work.  Personally, I can't see spending so much $ on one of those wool mats. I have a yard of wool  that I washed several times in hot water to "felt" it.  I guess I wasn't impressed with it enough to want to spend big dollars for a real pressing mat.  

A couple years ago, some of us here in Texas-and Patty in Oklahoma went to the Dallas Quilt Show. Patty and Dee went in together on the large wool mat, then they cut it in half. Dee kept hers in half, Patty cut her half in half and I paid her my half of her half. Lol sounds crazy but it was a great savings for the 3 of us. 

In reply toRe: msg 8
sueinIL

Apr-4

Well, I used a stack of 6 sheets today, and everything turned out fine.  No slippage, no heat going through to the bottom layer.  I did not use steam, irin set on cotton, and seams pressed open crisply.  I do not have a wool mat to make a comparison with, but $4 of Joann's polyester felt worked pretty well.  If you try this, let me know how it goes for you.

sue in IL

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-6

I requested a wool mat for Christmas.  I love it.  it really makes a difference when I press my seams.

judyinohio

Apr-6

I agree with you 100%, Cathy.  I bought the 14" x 24" size and I think it is awesome.

I have not used mine much, especially after I realized the moisture goes through and warped my cutting mat.  I think i like my big board with layers of cotton covered plywood the best.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-9

I actually put mine in my ironing board.  I don't use steam but my really hot iron for pressing blocks.  I often use steam for pressing yardage.   I don't make things really convenient for me like have it right near my sewing machine.  It make me get up and move!  I get stiff if I don't.